We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving suggestions

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, Arizona
driving suggestions

what is the most scenic route from phoenix az to south lake tahoe ca during the month of september 2013 and is it safe for a senior citizen?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: driving suggestions

How long do you have between Phx and Lake Tahoe? With 3 days I suggest to take 93 to Las Vegas, drive through Death Valley NP to us395 and north on 395 to Lake Tahoe. And yes, those are safe drives but Death Valley will be very hot but you''re used to that in Phx.

Tet

Edited: 9:58 am, January 04, 2013
Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
2. Re: driving suggestions

I don't know anything about traveling through Arizona, but Tet is correct about the Hwy 395 route. It is a beautiful drive. If you take this route, at Mono Lake you will be very close to the entrance to Yosemite. Have you been to this park before? If not, it would sure be a shame to be so close and not see Yosemite.

The drive along 395 is also close to the town of Bodie. It is worth the extra drive to see this historic mining town that went bust. This is just one of several attractions along 395, but it depends upon how much time you want to spend and your interests.

You can take Hwy 89 just south of Topaz Lake to the town of Markleeville, then to hwy 88 and back again on Hwy 89. This is another scenic option for you.

If your trip is during the later part of September it is possible to see some of the beginnings of the Fall Colors along the drive of 395.

Being a senior citizen should not be a problem for your drive.

Edited: 1:47 pm, January 04, 2013
Chandler, Arizona
3. Re: driving suggestions

Thank you so much for the info. We have a 12 hour drive and will be staying overnight at halfway mark. Six hour drives at our age is just about our max. Mapquest does put us on US 395 for approximately 370 miles of our 750 mile trip. It is comforting to know that the drive into South Tahoe will be scenic and safe.

Once again thanks!

Chandler, Arizona
4. Re: driving suggestions

Thank you for the additional information. It surely will be helpful if we decide to take a little side trip. Yosemite sounds awesome and we have never been there.

I can't tell you how much my husband and I appreciate the responses. We feel a lot more secure about going forward with our plans!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: driving suggestions

12 hours between Chandler and Lake Tahoe will be very tight. Count on a longer drive. Its some 775 miles. More like 14 hours.

Chandler, Arizona
6. Re: driving suggestions

Will definitely look for a new halfway mark for overnight stay. I think we can manage 7 hour drive.

Thank you

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
7. Re: driving suggestions

Hi Elisabeth S

I suggest you go up one level to the California state forum page. Then open the Top Questions about California in the upper right. There is a Traveler Article about the drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite. Some of the best bits of Hwy 395 are thoroughly described in that article and may help you to decide where to stop along the way for tourism or scenery.

If you have an additional night to spare, spending time in Yosemite NP would be lovely. But just driving into the Tuolumne Meadows region of Yosemite NP would be a nice diversion.

Turlock
reviews: 17
8. Re: driving suggestions

Hi Elisabeth,

If you don't already have one, I recommend a National Parks pass. Here is the link to review: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

The link is for the senior pass (62 and over) for the amazing annual rate of $10 - good for 12 months from purchase. Even the regular pass for $80 is a deal if you frequent our national parks. $20 is the usual entrance fee per vehicle, good for 7 days.

I highly recommend Yosemite. The east entrance is over 9000 feet and is a spectacular drive, if a little unnerving due to the starkness of the peaks.

Some of the research I have done indicated 35-40 miles per hour speed limits on all Death Valley park roads. This could increase the time in the park significantly. Perhaps someone could comment on this.

Safe travels.

Edited: 6:33 pm, January 05, 2013
Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
9. Re: driving suggestions

"The link is for the senior pass (62 and over) for the amazing annual rate of $10 - good for 12 months from purchase."

The Senior Pass is $10 for lifetime......even a better deal!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
10. Re: driving suggestions

Yes, the senior pass is good for life. It can only be purchased by US citizens or permanent residents. It also allows for a 50% discount on fees charged at federal recreation sites such as National Forest picnic areas and beaches at Lake Tahoe. It's an excellent investment.