We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
reviews: 3
Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

Hi,

I am planning a weeks vacation in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe this Thanksgiving week.

I read some posts about snow conditions and need for snow chains etc.

I will be renting a car in San Francisco. Would I need to rent snow chains also ? Do rental car companies provide snow chains ?

Any help in this regards would be highly helpful.

Also the google maps shows the route as Hwy-50 from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe. I do not have any experience in driving in snow, but have otherwise driven on hilly roads. Is this the most recommended route.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
1. Re: Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

Rental car co.s do not allow chains. The weather could be clear or snowy, but no way of knowing until 2 days prior.

There are 2 major routes to Lake Tahoe, the hwy 50 which you've seen, and Interstate 80, over Donner Summit. You will end up at the north end of Lake Tahoe after passing through Truckee and Tahoe City. Do you know your hotel yet? Its location will determine which route is best for you.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

You may wish to consider flying to Tahoe. Saves time & grief...particularly if snow.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

You should try to rent a 4 WD vehicle as snow conditions are unknown at this time. It is likely chains will not be needed, but if you do get into snowy roads and chain requirements are up, you will be able to proceed with your 4 WD rental.

Yes- if you are heading to South Lake Tahoe, using hwy 50 is the preferred route to use.

There are no commercial flights to Tahoe. The closest airport to Lake Tahoe is Reno, but you can still have chain requirements to deal with.

4. Re: Vacationing in San Francisco and South Lake Tahoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe