We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plane hire in Tahoe?

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
Plane hire in Tahoe?

We are spending 5 days in SLT over Christmas and my husbands birthday falls during our stay. He's a pilot here in Australia on small planes - and would love to have a go over there. Was going to try and organise a hire in Tahoe (not sure whether its a good idea yet given the snow though!). Any info would be appreciated!

London, United...
reviews: 118
1. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

I'm sure you'll get loads of replies once Tahoe wakes up but I'm a guy who likes to stick hid big nose in everything!

I've just done a Google search for 'Lake Tahoe plane rental' and it brings up loads of options. It might be worth having him (or you if it's a surprise) take a look at those to see whether any are the sort of planes he flies, the sort of package you're interested in and, ultimately, whether they offer the sort of prices you want to pay.

Might even be once you've done that you'll have a bunch of other questions for the Tahoe lot... once they finally wake up. Lazy lot!

Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

Haha thanks! Yeah I had a look. I probably didn't give enough information looking back - was in overload mode!

He's got his licence so ideally I'd like to be able to organise for him to take the plane without needing an instructor (he's an instructor himself here) - I knkow he'd obviously need an instructor to check him out on the plane first but I'm having trouble getting through all the aviation jargon on the websites I've looked at to find out what the rules are for international pilots taking planes out and what kind of checks they have to go through. Hoping someone in the know might be on the forum somewhere!! :)

London, United...
3. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

Ah, so it's more about the regulations allowing him to fly than the places to source the plane?

There may very well be people here who know but, unless they are involved in aviation themselves, they will not have as much information as the companies you are seeing online. I'd phone them and talk it through. You'll (probably) come out of one conversation with all the information you need.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

They'll keep the runways plowed. I notice here though very few people flying in the winter! There are flights tours, people who fly in to their second homes, and people who like to fly from one small mountain town to another. I don't see these people in the winter. As long as it's not actively snowing or icy it would seem safe? Best bet e-mail or call the airport and ask them.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
5. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

I think Tahoe is a very bad idea for an amatuer pilot not used to cold weather, mountain conditions, desert thermals, zephers, etc. Reno/Tahoe is a very tough place to fly even for professionals.

London, United...
6. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

The guy's a flying instructor...

7. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:16 pm, November 04, 2012
Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

I guess the big question is if his aviation license is good here in the states? I have no idea on what it will take, but I do know that a few airports very close to Lake Tahoe will rent (hire) planes.

Check at the Minden- Tahoe airport or the Truckee Tahoe airport for information.

I hope this works out for you. It can be an amazing place to fly around.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
9. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

High altitude Airports in the mountains in winter - small plane fatalities every year.

London, United...
10. Re: Plane hire in Tahoe?

I wish I understood the point of these posts highlighting the dangers of flying. The guy's a pilot. An instructor of pilots. Does he not know the dangers of flying? Is he not allowed to, or qualified to, make a decision about safety himself?