We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Hi! My family and I are traveling to Lake Tahoe for a week during Thanksgiving break and I have a Ton of questions, all suggestions and tips are GREATLY appreciated.

We're undecided if wether we should fly or drive. We'll be traveling from Houston TX to South lake tahoe. I prefer the drive because of the scenery and stops but am also concerned with the weather and cost to get there. Any advice? I would also like to know the approximate cost for fuel from here to there?

What is the weather like in late November? would I need to pack hardcore winter clothing? We will need a rental car... How is the driving in the snow? Or how should I prepare?

Any suggestions on family-friendly places to visit during our week long stay? Also, if you know of any good restaurants or dine-inns please let me know.

We are on a bit of a budget but ALL ideas are welcomed. Thank you so much :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Why are you going to Lake Tahoe at that time of year? It's usually too early for good skiing and too late for lake activities. There are far better places to go in the world.

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Where are you staying at the lake?

Very long drive from TX and back. You should fly

Edited: 3:08 am, October 10, 2012
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

We flew to Lake Tahoe one Thanksgiving for a week and drove to our condo in Incline Village. There was no snow on the lake level and skiing was poor that year but this year could be great. All the summer activites were not running but there were the MS Dixie type lake cruises to Emerald Bay, some hiking, etc

Reno is a nice easy airport to use and the drive to LT very pretty.

reviews: 740
4. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

In South Lake Tahoe, Evan's Gourmet Cafe and Cafe Fiore are two very good places to dine. On the North Shore, we loved our lunch at The Rtiz-Carlton last Fall. Lone Eagle Grill @ The Hyatt is also a nice place to dine on North Shore.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
5. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

That has to be close to a 4,000 mile round trip for you. That is a lot of driving and most of the scenery is not that great. You will have to do the calculations on the most econonomical way to get to Lake Tahoe depending upon the number of people traveling.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful anytime of the year but snow is always a question this early in the snow season. In addition to the boat lake cruise, the Heavenly Gondola should be open.

There are plenty of family friendly places to stay and eat. The above dining places listed may not be great places for families and are very expensive.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
6. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Late November you could get know any place from Albuquerque to Las Vegas. It would not be common, but still possible and not unprecedented.

Then you could hit snow possibilities again as you get on 395, south of the Lake.

And it is a 5-6 day drive.

I'd fly to Reno and drive to either North or South Lake Tahoe, depending on what you are looking for.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
7. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Why not fly to Reno or Sacramento and then drive? Reno closer but you may get better fares and more direct flights to Sacramento (we did fly IAH-SMF non-stop in August). Also visit Virginia City. Of course, there is a chance of snow, and if you rent a car there may be prohibitions on using chains on the rental car (check in advance)..

Edited: 12:09 pm, October 10, 2012
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
8. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

That's at least a full 2 days drive, without stopping for scenery along the way, from Houston to Tahoe. How many days total are you planning for this trip?

9. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Thank you for replying. South Lake. Staying at The Marriott Timberlodge.

10. Re: I need advice, first time traveling to Lake Tahoe

Susie travels: Thank you for replying. South Lake. Staying at The Marriott Timberlodge.

Edited: 2:11 pm, October 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe