We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Catlin, Illinois
reviews: 97
Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

Part 1 Lake Tahoe

Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

Part 3 Yosemite

Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

Part 5 Lake Tahoe

July 18 By mid day it had started to cloud up and was overcast by 2:00. Later that night we found out that the remains of a tropical storm came ashore in LA and was now moving north along the Sierras. We left Mammoth Lakes and headed north on US-395. For a change we took CA-89 over Monitor Pass to Lake Tahoe. Thanks Eagalemanic. The road had been resurfaced in the last year or two and was a fun drive up and over the pass. There were great views all along the way and an old stone marker at the top of the pass.

We arrived around 6:00 at Lake Tahoe and had pizza at Vinny's. It had been a long day, so we went to the room for the rest of the night.

July 19 I was up early and decided to take a walk around the area. It was still overcast with a chance of rain. I ended up walking the huge lot at Heavenly. I have never skied before and after looking up at those runs I decided it is too late in life to try now.

Today we had a 11:00 trip on the Bleu Wave. It is a smaller that the paddle wheelers on Lake Tahoe, but still goes over to Emerald Bay. We enjoyed lunch from a meat & cheese and veggie trays on the trip over. When we arrived at Emerald Bay I went out on deck for pictures.

It was still overcast with a few sprinkles when we returned to our car so we went shopping for souvenirs along Tahoe Boulevard.

For dinner we went to the Red Hut at the corner of Ski Run and Tahoe Boulevard. This place was a surprise. We both just had a different special of the day. But, we kept passing food back and forth to each other. You have gotha try this. And yes, bacon does make anything better.

It was still early and had cleared up so we drove to Tallac Historic Site. Thanks StormyQ It was a nice walk around the old homes and the beach.

July 20 Stopped by Rallies for sandwiches and on to Emerald Bay. Stopped by the view point for pictures then on to the parking lot down the road.

The walk down to Vikingsholm was easy. At the bottom I was surprised by all of the boaters beaching their boats and coming ashore for the day. The walk up was harder, but not as bad as I expected.

The parking lot was too hot and sunny for a picnic, so we ended up back at the view point for lunch.

After lunch we drove back to the visitor center at Taylor Creek. We walked the trails and went down to the beach. I liked the building that took you down the side of the creek and let you see through a large window what it was like below the top of the water.

July 21 Stopped at Rallies again for sandwiches (they are really good) and drove to Spooner Lake. I was surprised how many cars there were, but we found out that there was a long distance race being held there. We found a parking spot and headed out to the lake.

We enjoyed our walk around Spooner Lake. It was a beautiful day and not to warm. The runners were at the other end of the park so ran into few people. We had a picnic in a nice wooded area.

After we ended up driving around the lake and finding out just how busy it is on Saturdays.

July 22 Time to leave. The drive down from Spooner Summit to Carson City was no problem now. I guess I am used to mountain driving. We head on to the airport and drop off the car. The Mazda got a little over 30 MPG. I was happy.

Thank You for reading our trip report. We had a great week with the help of the TA community.

You can view our travel pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

reviews: 714
1. Re: Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

It sounds like a lovely time in a beautiful place! We went to Red Hut for breakfast when we were in Lake Tahoe and loved the ambiance of this small diner. I am drinking coffee out of my Red Hut coffee cup this morning!

Thank you for the fun report back on your time in Lake Tahoe! :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

Excellent TRs Rwdw. Enjoyed reading them and fully agree, Eastern Sierras are fantastic. And you'll have to come back one day for the snow on the mountains and the fall colors. Last time we were was october 2010 and we spent 4 days in Bishop (and drove to Devils Postpile ourselves, nice road -lol-) Tioga Rd was closed one day and opened next day. That really was something driving Tioga Rd with all the snow on the mountainand the meadows (not on the road, it was clear). never will forget it. Disadvantage was Bodie was bitterly cold (almost freezing) and a strong wind brrrr.

Tet

Catlin, Illinois
reviews: 97
3. Re: Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

Hi syrahgirl,

We some how made it out of the gift shop with out buying a coffee cup. I guess that is a reason to go back.

Hi Tet,

Thank you for the kind words.

The Eastern Sierras are a place that we want to come back to someday. Fall sounds like a great time to come.

Also, my invitation from last year still stands, if you are ever close, drop by.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

Of course but Illinois isnot on our next trip unfortunately. Nor are Eastern sierras this time....

5. Re: Trip Report Part 5 Lake Tahoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 03, 2013