We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is a better drive?

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Which is a better drive?

we are looking to go to South Lake Tahoe in September. I am sure it is shorter from Reno but is the drive from Sacramento a more senic drive or about the same either way?

Twin Bridges...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Which is a better drive?

From Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, I think the route to go would be Highway 50. I have been driving that route for over 50 years and I still enjoy the scenery once you pass Placerville.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: Which is a better drive?

The drive from the Reno airport will be about an hour shorter than the drive from the Sacramento airport.

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: Which is a better drive?

The scenery from Sacramento to Tahoe is not so much better that you'd want to fly into Sacramento rather than Reno. Fly into Reno so you can be at Tahoe sooner and enjoy the scenery sooner.

You'll drive more than an hour longer from Sacramento to Tahoe but you won't get an extra hour of good scenery. From the airport until a little past Pollock Pines it's a multi lane freeway. Once you get to the section where it's1 lane in each direction it is a nice drive but not worth going to Sacto instead of Reno.

4. Re: Which is a better drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe