We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

I know Lake Tahoe is quite chilly for swimming even in August, but I heard there is some nearby lake that is Ok for swimming with much more warmer waters. Any suggestions? Thanks

Edited: 9:56 pm, July 17, 2012
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
2,769 reviews
1. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

Its the altitude that makes the water cooler.....

Go to Markleville (south of South Lake Tahoe) for the natural hot springs there

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=508

or one of the other hot springs areas

reno.com/article/…

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

Thousands of people swim in Tahoe each day in August. It will be fine. Watch out for the sun though. It's easy to burn at higher altitudes.

Near Yosemite...
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

Perhaps they were talking about Fallen Leaf Lake which is very close? I have never swam in that lake, but I am thinking it has to be quite cold.

I used to swim in Lake Tahoe when I was much, much younger. It is too cold for me now.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

You posted this in SLT. Some of the beaches are very shallow for a long, long way out & the water is warm from the sun.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
27,975 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

I am not really a swimmer, but the above is true. Some of the beaches in SLT are shallow a long way out and the water is warmed, as travelingrunner said. The last time I was in the lake was at such a spot, and while I gasped as I hit the water, I soon "warmed up to it", if you will, and had a nice soak.

I would not waste my time trying to find a warmer lake at this altitude.

Unless you really want to get into hot water, I would not bother taking the time and mileage to Grover Hot Springs near Markleville, but just enjoy Tahoe for what it is......which is a LOT besides "swimming".

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

Meeks Bay was where we took our kids years ago, but according to these reviews it still sounds like a great beach location: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33157-d22…

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

I was in Tahoe last week. It was hot. Everyone was in the water. Doesn't matter how cold the water is. The temp nearly reached 90 degrees. It was hot hot hot due to the high altitude. We couldn't stay in the water enough.

The surface temp of the water in Tahoe is 65 degrees but in July & August the air temp has you running to the lake to cool off.

And yes Meeks Bay is still a great sandy beach

Edited: 12:21 am, July 18, 2012
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

I'm thinking that you may be asking about Pyramid Lake NV which is much warmer than Tahoe. There are designated recreation areas on the west side of the lake. You should read up on Pyramid Lake it's super interesting.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
16,356 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

We were at Sand Harbor in Lake Tahoe in Nevada earlier this month. The water is shalow there along the shore, and thus warms up nicely during the day. It's about a 25 minute drive from SLT.

10. Re: Swim in Tahoe in August, is there any warm nearby lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 20, 2013