We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunder storms this Weedend??

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
reviews: 61
Thunder storms this Weedend??

How seriously should I take the weather forecast saying 30% chance of thunderstorms in South Lake this weekend?

Do you locals see these forecasts a lot and nothing comes of it?

Not asking anyone to play fortune teller just asking for experience.

Thanks

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

My experience is that they build in the afternoon on the south and east side. Sometimes they briefly extend northerly and to the west side. They don't usually hang around all day. Actually they are interesting to watch.

You're right about the fortune teller part. Maybe yes maybe no. I'd head north or west - even to Squaw valley - if the thunderstorms really start to build.

I was there late Monday and all day Tuesday. It seemed super hot - high of 88 - and I was surprised that there were no thunderstorms. Cloudless sky most of the time and late afternoon some very small amount of puffy clouds. Nothing you'd even notice really.

Edited: 2:43 pm, July 12, 2012
Lassen National...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

Yes, It's a concern if your're on the water or hiking above treeline. Thunderstorms in the Sierra Nevada are usually of short duration. Our second...or probably first concern is wildfires caused by lightening strike as there is usually very little, if any, rain along with these storms.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

They are usually a hit or miss type deal. You probably will see what looks like some small areas getting rain, but most likely not where you are. 30% chance of thunderstorms also means you have a 70% chance of not getting in the path.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

For many year we are on the north shore in July, only had rain one day in all that time. Never have seen a thunderstorm, as we did years ago the first week of Aug. It scared us as we were camping in SLT and it was all day.

Last week was 76 most of the week around the lake, felt like a nice warm 80, it was wonderful.

If weather says thunderstorms in SLT, hopefully it will be overnight when sleeping, and warm up during the day.

California
5. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

Ugh Tuesday it was almost 90 degrees. Even boating on the lake felt so hot. We anchored for awhile at Bliss and then floated at Emerald Bay but it was so hot we had to keep moving. Ate outside on the deck at 8:30 - still warm enough to not put on a sweathsirt even. Something needs to cool it down.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

" Ate outside on the deck at 8:30 - still warm enough to not put on a sweathsirt even. "

People where I live don't believe me when I said we didn't need a jacket or sweatshirt in the evening for Fireworks this year in Tahoe. Had to show them our photos to prove we were mostly in T-shirts!

California
7. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

Looks like it was mostly clear during the day this past weekend.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
8. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

If the poster is really from Sacramento and follows local news channels, they always seem to have reliable predicitions. They aren't midwest thunderstorms (from the ones I've seen or talked to Tahoe/Truckee locals about, anyway.) I just hope there aren't any around Truckee when I'm there camping this next weekend. At least we won't be in a tent.

9. Re: Thunder storms this Weedend??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 19, 2013