We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best scenic route to chester

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
herts
reviews: 2
best scenic route to chester

We are travelling from SLT in to Chester in Sept and would be very grateful if anybody could recommend the most scenic route with possibily suggestions of any worthwhile short stops.Thanks.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
1. Re: best scenic route to chester

Yes. Make your way toward Truckee using either hwy 267 from Tahoe Vista & passing NorthStar or hwy 89 from Tahoe City passing Squaw Valley. If you haven't stopped at Squaw during your trip already I highly recommend it. If you have time for a short hike I recommend the Shirley Canyon hike. Lots of Aspens, granite boulders, and a beautiful creek. This is a popular hike with dogs. Some posters last year who are from Norway said this was their favorite hike out of their trip that included Redwood National Park,Lassen National Park, Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite. Even a short hike here is worth it.

From Truckee take hwy 89/49 toward Sierraville. At Sierraville you'll turn left onto 89. The meadows you see here with huge Angus are fed by springs. You'll make a right at Calpine staying on hwy 89 or can choose to keep driving ahead on what is now hwy 49. A few miles of steep climbing & you'll see a sign that reads Golds Lake Hwy. Take this. This route paralells the meadow route, but you are 2,000+ feet higher. It's very pretty. You'll meet hwy 89 just before Graeagle/Blairsden. This is a nice stop. If you stay in the meadows look up at the mountains on your left & you'll see the Sierra Buttes Lookout.

Youll come to a T. Take a left on hwy 70 toward Quincy. When you first enter Quicy it doesn't look too exciting. Climb the hill and drop into old town. You're on a one-way. Stay in the left lane and loop back through town to see the beautiful courthouse & cute downtown. Good resturants & health food store here. The health food store has great coffee, but only 12 oz cups. There's a coffee & tea next door--Dunn's which is really good too. They make all their treats from scratch. As you are leaving Quiny you'll see a huge meadow on the left. Sometimes the horses that Feather River College has are running in a herd of maybe 30+ horses. It's a beautiful sight. The college itself is really pretty on a hill overlooking the meadow. You'll wind down through the canyon. Just before where they have built a new bridge is the Keddie Wye. It's one of a kind in the world. There's a wye with a tunnel and a bridge...maybe two tunnels. Sometimes you'll see trains waiting here.

Don't miss your turn onto hwy 89--a right. Shortly you'll see a sign for Indian Falls. This is a very short hike(.4 miles?) & worthwhile. Back on the hwy there is a unique rock formation on the right. It appears as if a woman is kneeling forward washing her long hair in the water. You'll pass Indian Valley. Lots of cattle and horses again. As you come into Greenville look up at the mountain(Keddie Ridge) to your rightish. You'll see the profile of a Native American's face. A nice little natural foods store has opened up in Greenville called Lupines. Once you get to Lake Almanor you might want to stop along the west shore for a short walk on the Almanor trail.

http://goo.gl/maps/kpJN

Edited: 3:16 pm, July 11, 2012
Lassen National...
2. Re: best scenic route to chester

I noticed you posted this same question in Feb & I advise you of the 2 routes. Did you ever take that drive?

herts
reviews: 2
3. Re: best scenic route to chester

thank you for a fantastic detailed reply which i will definately follow.The rain in

hertfordshire uk has got to my brain and i completly fogot of my earlier request for info.You cetainly have wonderful knowledge of the area .

Lassen National...
4. Re: best scenic route to chester

No problem. You might find this helpful: http://www.plumascounty.org

5. Re: best scenic route to chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, July 13, 2013