We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pack/dress this weekend?

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
How to pack/dress this weekend?

My husband and I are headed to South Lake Tahoe this weekend for first time. We are coming from Houston where the temperature has been over 100 degrees this week. I see the temps in Lake Tahoe are ranging from highs in low 70s and and lows in 40s. I am looking forward to the cooler weather. Suggestions on how to pack and dress ? Is it too cool for capris and flip flops during the day?

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

No it is not too cool for that. The high altitude makes it feel warmer than it is. If it's in the 80s then it feels really hot and you'll see more people cooling off in the freezing cold lake. We throw on a sweatshirt over our shorts as the sun sets.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

Layers.

Cold at night, as would be typical for 6500+ foot elevation

Wind is also a problem, especially out on the lake.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
3. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

I notice the difference coming from 4'500-5'000 feet. It is cooler in the morning for an am run, but by noon the sun's rays feel as though they are penetrating your skin much more deeply! Coming from Houston it'll feel great. Your throat might feel really dry at night.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

Thanks for the help!

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
5. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

Yes, coming from Houston, you will really feel the thin, dry air. Bring chapstick, use it often, and drink more water than you usually would. In this climate, you won't really notice when you sweat because it dries fast and you will just lose more water from regular breathing than you would in Houston. It is easy to get dehydrated.

I think you will also be really suprised at how fast the air cools once the sun goes down - again, the thin air, which doesn't hold heat. So have your sweatshirt or jacket handy - when the sun dips behind the mountain, you will start feeling the drop in temperature within a few minutes. Sometimes even if the sun goes behind a cloud. It is a trip.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

We're headed to Reno/Tahoe tomorrow, and know the weather is always around 70 degrees. We still pack our capris, and the guys wear shorts all the time except when they go horseback riding, then wear jeans. We do bring a sweatshirt or windbreaker for the catamaran ride out of Incline Village or to watch fireworks from the beach. We take a sundress to wear into a nicer restaurant, and a sweater to cover.

Bring Tylenol or what ever you take for altitude headaches. Half of us get them the first coupe days. Drink plenty of water.

ATLANTA
reviews: 59
7. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

South Lake Tahoe and the whole area is very casual. If you get up early (sunrise to 8:00 AM) it can be cool. Unless up stay up/out late, it will be comfortable until 10:00 PM. You'll love the crisp, clean, blue skies and the air.

Look at wunderground.com or weather.com for a later update.

Kent

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
8. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

We're back from Incline Village. Temps remained in the 70's during the day, and it was great. We did not use our sweatshirts when we went to see fireworks at 9 PM on the beach. No wind, weather was fabulous.

Still had them packed, you never know. Did not wear a sweater for dinners out either.

9. Re: How to pack/dress this weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe