We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 395

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 7
Hwy 395

In the beginning stages of planning a road trip for mid September. Will be going from Lassen to Tahoe then down 395 to Lee Vining. I have never been on 395 in the North. As a kid we would go on it to go to Death Valley and Mammoth. I loved it. Soooo anyone have any must stops from Tahoe to Lee Vining? My husband loves hotsprings and we are into history, geology and photography. Thanks for any hints. ideas. mile markers ect...

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hwy 395

Wow YES!!

Love this drive.

North of Bridgeport you will be drving along the Walker River there is a great rest stop where we always stop and have a snack or lunch and fish awhile.

Then in Bridgeport we stop in for a shake at Jolly Cone. It's on your left all red. Great burgers too. A real old fashioned burger drive up.

Heading south you should definitely stop in at Bodie Ghost town:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

Then of course stop at Mono Lake

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
2. Re: Hwy 395

Have lunch or dinner at Whoa Nellie Deli.

California
3. Re: Hwy 395

Whoa Nellie Deli - The chef has left the building. Anyone know how it's going without him?

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
4. Re: Hwy 395

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
5. Re: Hwy 395

It's too early to tell about Whoa Nellie. It was overrated and overpriced anyway. But, it was (is) an amazing place to stop for lunch in an otherwise culinary desert.

For hotsprings, there's Buckeye and Travertine in the Bridgeport area. Also, try to take one of the guided walks in the Mono Lake area.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Hwy 395

From South Lake Tahoe, we followed Hwy 88 and 89 to 395 -- it's a very winding road, but very scenic.

Have fun.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Hwy 395

Probably too early in the day, for a stop in Walker - we enjoy WalkerBurgers and sitting at their tree-shaded patio.

Virginia Lakes is also very nice - 12 miles south of Bridgeport, 5 miles in from hwy 395. They have some recent pictures on their website.

www.virginialakesresort.com

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Hwy 395

Allow extra time for your drive. I drove this route last week, and there was a lot of road construction going on. You will probably run into some road work delays for your trip too. I like Topaz Lake for some great photography. I also like the Walker Burger and also the the Walker BBQ- if it is open. Bodie is a great place for your interests. I always like to stop in Bridgeport to look at the huge trout caught in the Bridgeport area in front of the fly fishing shop. Bridgeport has some hot springs, so that is the place for that activity.

Great Road Trip!!!!

London, United...
reviews: 118
9. Re: Hwy 395

I hope I'm adding to the thread rather than hijacking it in asking:

1. Is Jolly Kone an option for a proper dinner? Rather than going to one of Casa Michaela or Rhino's, which is the current thinking?

2. I've always been planning to visit Travertine Hot Springs. Not even sure I've come across Buckeye before. Is one appreciably better than the other? Buckeye looks harder to get to. Is this the case? And, going on a Saturday night in June, will one be any less busy than the other?

Thank you.

Edited: 11:30 am, May 11, 2012
California
10. Re: Hwy 395

After our visit to Jolly Kone we always stop in at Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport to pick up a new T-shirt for my husband. It's right next to the the Mono County Courthouse which was built in 1880 and has an old canon in the front. It's surrounded by a low wrought iron fence and is very picturesque.

Jolly Kone is a an old fashioned walk up drive up hamburger place. They have picnic tables with red and white aluminum umbrellas that you can sit at to eat your burger. I don't know if you'd consider that a proper dinner though.

Edited: 11:46 am, May 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe