We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?

Which Tofo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?

Hi

We are off to Tofo Beach for a couple of weeks in October - and was wondering which was the better mobile network: MCEL or Vodacom?

Note that we will be using it almost exclusively for data rather than telephone calls - so 3G data performance is the criterion.

What are the typical throughput rates to expect?

thanks

Colin

3 replies to this topic
Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
reviews: 36
1. Re: Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?

Can't give you data but Vodacom is widely regarded as the better network, especially in terms of quality, and for data transfer

London, United...
2. Re: Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I'd heard Vodacom were in general the better network. Slightly more expensive too, but not by much. Worth paying if they provide the better service, in my view.

Has anyone who's been to Tofo lately got any recent experiences they can share about 3G data performance there?

Thanks

London, United...
3. Re: Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?

Well I've arrived in Moz, and went straight to the Vodacom shop in Inhambane. Picked up a SIM with 3GB data valid for 30days. Not especially cheap at 1250MTS - could have got data cheaper for example by buying some daily packages, but just wanted No Hassle.

Performance is very good. Similar response times as for UK 3G services. Although throughput is noticeably a little slower when sucking through large chunks of data.

3G signal itself is 4/5 bars in Casa Do Mar (at the southern end of Tofo Beach beside Casa Barry).

I hope this helps someone else.

Reply to: Best mobile 3G network in Tofo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofo
Recent Conversations