We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental route 66

wales
reviews: 2
car rental route 66

Hi,

planning a route 66 trip 28th Aug till 18th Sept this year,

just wondering if its worth dropping the car off early when we get to the end

Santa Monica!

We are planning on having a few days there at the end of the trip, but not

sure how easy it would be to get around without a car.

We would like to go to Newport Beach and Hollywood.

We are having 3 days at the start and have decided to pick the car up when we

leave because of the parking charging and we wont be using it around Chicargo!

9 replies to this topic
Texas
reviews: 140
1. Re: car rental route 66

First of all, your post is in the forum of a small Texas town. Try again in the LA CA forum. Second, as a former resident of Los Angeles, CA, my advice is to keep the car. You'll need it to get to the places you mention plus others you'll think of. Third, 21 days for your trip will allow you to see a lot of Rt. 66 along the way including a side trip to Grand Canyon which is a must see.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: car rental route 66

Maybe stick to your thread on the Road Trips forum for more info but I agree with what Texhills has said. Keep the car.

Banff National...
reviews: 15
3. Re: car rental route 66

The longer you keep the rental car, the cheaper the daily rate....do the math...

I would do a monthly contract (best bargain) no brainer.....ask question at rental

Edited: 12:10 pm, February 07, 2014
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
4. Re: car rental route 66

That's not true renting a car from Europe with a broker Joe.

Banff National...
5. Re: car rental route 66

I guess different circumstances when renting a car thru a broker from Europe.

In my case rented several times and when rental was longer than 30 days, I had to have a second contract drawn up for that car rental.

Example of cost weekly maybe 200 per week = 7 days $30 day

monthly 500 per month - 30 days $17 day same car

No brainer in my case to rent for a month even if rental only needed for 3 weeks....my experience when I used rentals, unlimited mileage,anywhere in U.S.A., a few years back...Quite a bargain then....

Edited: 6:12 pm, February 07, 2014
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
6. Re: car rental route 66

We rented with Alamo and Hertz for max 62 days (had to change cars for the longer periode) but the daily fee was the same all te time.

Banff National...
7. Re: car rental route 66

Tet, I always rented with Avis.Now i think rental max 59 days. The longer the rental, the more you saved.

Always rented for a month or longer, daily rate for a month was much cheaper than the daily weekly rate....then

Edited: 12:33 pm, February 08, 2014
Newport
8. Re: car rental route 66

thanks guys for the info....sorry i did`nt realize i was on the Texas forum!

Banff National...
9. Re: car rental route 66

Tucumcari,Winslow, Holbrook and the stretch of 66 Seligman thru Kingman up over the Sitgreave Pass into Oatman with a must stop at the Hackberry general store,located between Seligman and Kingman, IMO the jewel of the trip on this portion of 66. Would recommend one of these places for lodging,Canyon Lodge for lodging in Seligman, Blue Swallow or Motel Safari in Tucumcari, and the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook...

I stayed in all, fantastic...Seligman to Oatman, incredible portion of rt66. The best in America in my opinion..Always need a car, except maybe Chicago....

Edited: 11:35 am, February 09, 2014
Reply to: car rental route 66
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Los Angeles