We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary feedback request

Which Nelson-Tasman Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 6
Itinerary feedback request

Hi all,

We are planning to travel to the South Island for only 7 days in mid-September, and after much debate have decided to spend our time in Nelson-Tasman-Marlborough region to take advantage of the warmer and drier spring climate. We've put together an itinerary, but are concerned its too much driving time and would love some feedback.

A bit of background on us: this will be the second part of our honeymoon after a week in Fiji. We'll be on a budget while in NZ - thinking private rooms in hostels and perhaps a few B&Bs. We're experienced backpackers and hikers, but we're trying to travel light so won't have a tent with us. Our priorities are hiking and seeing the scenery, but would love to squeeze in skiing and wine tasting if possible too! We'll have a rental car the whole time.

Fly into CHC late on September 10th

Depart for Methven on September 11th

Ski at Mt. Hutt on September 12th

Drive from Methven to Nelson on September 13th

Trek from Awaroa to Marahau on the Coast Track- September 14th-15th

Leave for Renwick September 16th - Winetasting

Drive Renwick - Christchurch September 17th

Fly out of CHC at 15:00 September 18th

Is the drive from Methven to Nelson way too far to do in one day? Should we stopover in Hanmer Springs instead and scrap the Mt Hutt visit? We're considering scrapping the wine touring as well in favor of visiting Marlborough Sound - can this be done in one day? We live in Seattle, very close to a lot of skiing and Whistler, BC in Canada- has anyone skiied both ? How does the skiing in NZ compare to the skiing in the US?

Sorry - lots of questions I know, but our trip is just far too short to fit it all in :(. Thanks for your help!

Christine

5 replies to this topic
Canandaigua
reviews: 122
1. Re: Itinerary feedback request

I'd skip the skiing as one thing too many, and tho I have not skied it personally, doubt that it can compare to Whistler, plus with renting equipment and all, could be pretty pricey. I think you'd be better off hiking.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
2. Re: Itinerary feedback request

Congratulations on your honeymoon Christine :)

Yes, the drive Methven to Nelson is too far, it would take about 7 hours of non-stop driving.

I also would suggest you skip the skiing - the cost of ski hire etc for a few hours on the slope seems excessive when travelling on a budget.

My suggestion - and this takes in some pretty scenic drives;

10 arrive Chch

11 drive Arthur's Pass to Punakaiki

12 drive to Nelson/Marahau

13/14 explore/hike

15 drive to Renwick - or drive Queen Charlotte Drive to Picton and Marlborough

16 wine tour

17 drive to Chch

18 fly out

hope this helps :)

3. Re: Itinerary feedback request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, August 03, 2012

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
reviews: 7
4. Re: Itinerary feedback request

If you really wanted to go skiing, you could look at a 'progression pack' combo. $170 each for lift pass, gear hire (poles, boots and skis) and a 1 hour 50 minute lesson. You get put into groups with people of a similar ability, and isn't just for beginners - there are groups for immediate and advanced skiers.

See nzski.com/lessonsAndProgrammes/adults/adultC…

But agree with previous advice - the drive from Methven to Nelson is a long drive, especially so if you have a full days skiing the day before.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 6
5. Re: Itinerary feedback request

Wow - thanks so much for all of the advice!

I suspected as much regarding the Methven-Nelson drive :/. But, it sounds like we can't really go wrong as long as we pace ourselves - so many great options for things to do. Thanks again!

Reply to: Itinerary feedback request
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted