We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

Which Sabana Westpunt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

We stayed at the Lodge Kura Hulanda last year and had a wonderful time at the hotel and diving. I'm reading several recent review reporting poor service and theft. Can anyone comment further? We are seriously considering changing our lodging to Marazul Dive Resort, Rancho el Sobrino or No Krusero. Any recommendations for these options? Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 67
1. Re: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

I can not comment on the service last couple of months. About a year back the service was OK.

Theft I do not think you should be too concerned about that. There was one incident in January I think but other than that everything was OK

Cape Cod, MA
reviews: 51
2. Re: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

After the incident in January, we cancelled and changed to another hotel... It's a personal decision, I guess.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

I would look into Marazul. You can look at my reviews of the Lodge for more info on our stays. I have been twice and service has definitely gone down. There were no safes during our last stay and I have heard news of an "incident" in January. Our next stay will be at Marazul as we know some one with a condo there who will rent to us. I know that you can rent from anyone there though.

NJ
reviews: 3
4. Re: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

I am in the same boat as you! I was really excited about staying at Kura Hulanda lodge this June until I read those armed robbery and safe reviews. I really like the location but also do not want to be robbed!! I decide to call the toll free number they provide on their website to ask what they are doing to ensure this does not happen again - figured it was the least I could do. The response I received was that they upped the security to 24 hrs/day and that the guards (not sure if all) have dogs, but there are dogs for sure at the gates. Also, they now offer a "complimentary" service of installing/ bringing a safe into your room if there isn't one already.

Not sure what to make out of all this..

I will be calling the Miami location to ask the same question, although I haven't been able to get through to them for the last 2 days. Despite of what they say, I still don't / won't feel 100% safe staying there. I will post again if I hear something else.

NJ
reviews: 3
5. Re: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda

I contacted a representative via email and this is the response I received regarding the actions taken after the armed robbery on January 15th: Hope this helps! (??)

"SECURITY

New security procedures have been implemented and it seems that those procedures

are working. They are being monitored and improved. We are taking

measurements accordingly. We also have 3 additional security guards on each shift.

What have we done so far with respect to security issues:

- we are replacing all 'in room safes'

- some contracts of staff members have been terminated and this

process will continue if needed

- we have changed the complete team of the security company we are working with

- we have installed an electronic lock at the back office

- we have installed extra cameras on several locations

- all employees are being checked upon departure on valuables or masterkeys

- procedures with name registration and signatures have been implemented

- master safe has been replaced and codes change on a daily basis

- team is every day working on general improvement of these procedures"

Reply to: Concerned about Lodge Kura Hulanda