We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
reviews: 1
Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

Hi,

We are in Cape Town from 22nd December for 7 nights. I know this is a very busy time but this is the only time we can come.

I know this post is similar to some posted previously but we are getting confused as to where would be best for us to stay. We are in our early thirties and want to see the sights, relax and eat at some good restaurants in the evening. We can hire a car for a few days if necessary. So far thoughts are between Camps Bay and V&A Waterfront.

- Should we split ourselves between the two? Maybe 3 nights in one and 4 in another? Or are we missing somewhere else?

-As part of our 'seeing the sights', we would like to visit the winelands. Options are a day trip or spend a night there?

- would guest houses be the better option than a hotel?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
north yorkshire
reviews: 111
1. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

Everyone will have their own views on location but this is mine. The v&a is just a huge shopping and dining mall but with spectacular views of table mountain and loads of restaurants to choose from. Camps bay has a young persons vibe and a great beach. I cant tell you which to choose - we would choose neither but we are in our late 60s so a quieter life suits us. We Always choose b&b over hotels in SA. They are like small personal boutique hotels with excellent service and quality. The wine lands is beautiful with some outstanding restaurants on wine estates. I would stay out there a couple of nights, particulularly if you like wine (zero tolerance of drink driving). Congratulations on your marriage. Enjoy your stay in this wonderful country

Kent
2. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

I agree with Joyce, the V&A can be very noisy & its very touristy. Camps Bay is more suitable for a young couple on honeymoon out of your choices but then that also can be very busy. Everybody will be at the beach on xmas day.

South Africa
reviews: 14
3. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

I would opt for Camps Bay if those were your only two options. Camps Bay is great but over the time you are planning to go it will be very busy and crowded, and of course you will pay peak season rates, if you can find availability. But at least it will be a very festive vibe. If you want to split your time, you may want to consider something a bit further out, like Hermanus, for a honeymoon, at least for some of the days. There are some great properties in and around Hermanus, still within easy striking distance to experience Cape Town, Cape Point and the Winelands. Maybe 4 nights Camps Bay and 3 nights Hermanus.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Manchester
reviews: 1
4. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

Thanks for your suggestions. They aren't our only possibilities. .just suggestions we'd had from friends so any other ideas are greatly appreciated. We'd spotted a nice guest house in green point that was a possibility too.

Edited: 4:58 am, August 07, 2014
Kent
5. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

A little further out from the city & will need a car, look at Hout Bay, LLandudno, Noordhoek on the Atlantic side & Kalk Bay, St James, Clovelly along False Bay & the slightly warmer Indian ocean.

South Africa
reviews: 14
6. Re: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay

In Green Point (and the Waterfront for that matter) if you are a light sleeper you may find that the noises might bother you a bit, specifically the harbor sirens (ship signals) at night, and in the day time, the constant drone of sightseeing helicopters. We've never really had complaints from our guests who have stayed at the Waterfront but I've read that the local residents are complaining about it. Then again with windows closed and aircon on it probably won't bother you.

Reply to: Honeymoon December- help please with deciding where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted