We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 22
Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

Hello all, I am so excited to be heading to SA soon! I spent so much time planning the big stuff that some of the smaller stuff has fallen by the wayside. Please let me know if there are must sees! Unfortunately, the first half of the trip is kind of booked fully, but maybe there is room for a quick drive somewhere? xo

Itinerary:

Day 1 - arrive Jo'burg at 10PM head straight to hotel (sounds like we wont be able to pick up SIM cards upon arrival; does anyone know what time those shops open?)

Day 2 - 7AM return back to OR Tambo and pick up car rental for drive to Balule Reserve (nothing planned along the way, want to get there before 2PM and get settled in--maybe take in an afternoon game drive at our lodge)

Day 3 - Balule

Day 4 - Balule

Day 5 - Balule

Day 6 - Drive back to Jo'Burg via the Panorama Route (R36 to R532 to R534 back to R532 down to Graskop and Sabie and R37 back to Lyndberg... and then back to Jo'Burg) - Does anyone have an estimate of how long this will take? Which sites should we spend some time and get out of the car and enjoy? We just want to be sure we have enough time to make it back to OR Tambo before it gets dark.

Day 7 - morning flight to CPT; pick up car rental and drive to Franschoek.Stop in Stellenbosch for lunch (any food recs welcome!) Relax the afternoon and evening; maybe walk to a winery if one is within walking from us.

Day 8 - Wine tour days--looking at some other forums, I have la motte and lynx on my list of must visits

Day 9 - drive back to CPT - not sure what to do the rest of the day while we still have the car in hand. spend more time in the winelands, maybe?

Day 10 - drive down the cape (or elsewhere? What's a good route for a drive to soak in some sights and wildlife?? Does anyone have a good route to recommend?)

Day 11 - return car. Hike up Table Mountain

Day 12 - ?? robben island or not?

Day 13 - we fly out at 12AM day 14 so we have yet another full day where i'm ???

Day 14 - 12:05am FLY HOME :((

Sorry, as you can see, my planning got lazy at the end there! If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

South Africa
reviews: 67
1. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

If hou like to do the Panaramaroute and drive vack to Jonurg, that is too mich for one day i think. Drive vack to Joburg is at least 5 a 6 hours drive!

And yes spend more time in the winelands. Also nice is the two Ocean Aquarium nearby the waterfront.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Annemieke owner Thatch22 , gueshouse near Johannesburg.

north yorkshire
reviews: 111
2. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

If you took the hoho bus for a day you could do kistenbosch botanical gardens and the constantia wine valley which is very close to Cape Town. Enjoy this beautiful country

Washington, DC
reviews: 50
3. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

In my opinion, some of the must see things you should incorporate into your trip:

-Robben Island (it's a tour that is heavy in history and will give you a greater appreciate for the struggles the country has been through over the past few decades. Boat ride can be choppy, so take seasick meds if you need them.) I've been to RI twice during trips to SA and I'll prob go a third time in January when we return (so my fiance has a chance to see it)

-township tour (can't come to SA without seeing how a good majority of South Africans live! Township tours and truly be the highlight of one's trip, as it is rich in culture and is a break to the standard sightseeing tours.)

-Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope. MUST DO. Can also stop to see the penguins at Boulders Beach on the way there...or the Ostrich farm. On the way to Cape Point, there are baboons everywhere - so maybe this will count as your "wildlife" portion of the trip?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 60
4. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

Include a trip to kirstenbosch botanic gardens - beautiful. Take a day trip (via chapmans peak drive if open which has gorgeous views along the coast) to cape point - stunning and visit the penguins at boulders beach on the way back.

Spend some time at the waterfront certainly do the mountain - remember the cable car can be closed due to weather so may need to be flexible with what day you do this.

Not sure exactly when you're going but during summer kirstenbosch has sunday summer afternoon concerts which would be delightful. Also we have just booked tickets for a Sunday evening concert at the Oude Libertas amphitheater in Stellenbosch.

Township tour not my thing but is popular with tourists.

Enjoy your trip!

New York City, New...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

Thanks so much for the tips! I'll be sure to include in my itinerary :))

San Jose, California
reviews: 51
6. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

I don't think you will have time to visit the Panorama Route on your way back to Jo'burg.

We left the Londolozi game reserve a little after 10AM (after our morning game drive), and we got back into Jo'burg near the airport just after dark. (We did get lost for about 45 minutes in the big city).

We visited the Panorama Route, and that took about a full day. We are glad that we did it, but really, it is nothing too special. So, if you don't have time, I think it is okay to just miss it.

You definitely should visit the Table Mountain, but you might want to consider the cable car up. The hike did not appear easy. We took the cable, but met with other tourists who hiked up, and told us that it is pretty hard. If you take the cable car, Table Mountain would only take about a couple of hours to enjoy. You can hike a bit on the top.

In Cape Town, We spent a day doing the Peninsula drive in our rental car. I think we left Camps Bay at about 8AM. We visited the kirstenbosch botanic gardens first (we walked around there for about 1.5 hrs), then on to Kalk Bay, Simon's Town, Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Chapman's Peak, Twelve Apostles, up to Signal Hill just in time to catch the sunset, then back to Camps Bay in time for dinner. It was an awesome day!

We did the Township tour on a last minute plan. It was quiet an eye opening experience. I highly recommended it. You have to join a tour to visit the Township, it will take half a day.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 11:15 pm, November 22, 2013
7. Re: Intrepid Travellers, please help me revise my itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 24, 2014