We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Let me know if this plan sounds feasible:

Day 1: Arrive early morning- Relax (staying near VA waterfront)

Day 2: City Tour and Cable Car up Table Mountain

Day 3: Walk around VA Waterfront, Visit Robben Island, and Acquarium

Day 4: Day trip to the Winelands

Day 5: Take a "game drive" 2 hours from Cape Town

Day 6: Coastal Drive: Cape of Good Hope, Botanical Gardens, etc.

Day 7: Leave for Durban

Now, I am debating about taking a day to Hermanus- so I can take away one of the previous activities or my "relaxation day" which I am not sure I would need any way, since we are doing a direct flight from Europe. I know the whales won't be there at that time, but is it worth the trip anyway?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
reviews: 63
1. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Hi,

I would definitely do a day tour to Hermanus or Kleinmond as the coastal route from Gordon's Bay via Clarens Drive is breathtakingly beautiful.

Small seaside towns en route are lovely. Harold Porter Botanical Gardens (Betty's Bay) is well worth a short visit.

Be ware of your "game drive" two hours from Cape Town. There are no true

game reserves close to the city and those that are touted as such are often glorified zoos. Sanbona is an exception.

You could do City Tour and Table Mountain in half a day.

Kent
2. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

I agree it is a stunning drive to Hermanus, take the N2 route back & stop at Sir Lowry's pass viewpoint.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
reviews: 265
3. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Hi

I agree that you should take a trip to Hermanus. Even tough, there will be no whales there it is still a spectacular drive.

As said before, a stop at Betty's Bay to see the penguins is well worthwhile, as a stop at the small town of Kleinmond.

There are also some very good wineries in the Hermanus area, if you fancy combining a spot of wine tasting with your trip.

Just past Hermanus is one f my favourite beaches in the Overberg - Grotto Beach. The sea is not quite as cold as around Cape Town. My absolute favourite is Pearly Beach - just past Gansbaai

I would heed Tourist Guides advise. I have never done any of the "game drives" close to Cape Town, as they are more like large zoos than a true game experience.

You will have some time after you land. I always find I can keep going ok until early evening, when fatigue sets in. No jet lag though from Europe!

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 60
4. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

I agree with the others - a game drive in Cape Town cannot compare to a real big 5 experience. I would only recommend such a game drive if you have never had the opportunity to see the big 5 and you are pressed for time. If you plan on going on safari somewhere else then rather leave this out and use this time for Hermanus or something else.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

5. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:45 am, September 27, 2012
Cape Town
reviews: 11
6. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

My apologies I did not see your itinerary above. A good plan, but you are missing out on some really nice opportunities. May I ask if you are doing a self drive holiday?

Regards

Michele

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
reviews: 63
7. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Hi Michele,

Would love to know which Game Reserve you are referring to.

Cape Town
reviews: 11
8. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

Hi there

This would be Inverdoorn, I was very very impressed.

Regards

Michele

9. Re: 6 full days in Cape Town in January- Itinery questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 13, 2013