We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Sydney

Which Greater Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Where to stay in Sydney

My boyfriend and I arrive in Sydney at the beginning of December and plan to work and live there for 6 months. I am a nurse, so hopefully working in the hospitals in the area, but not a specific one, perhaps different ones, I'm not certain yet. This is why where to stay is difficult at the moment. Does anyone have any advice of where we should stay with good transport links, nightlife, plus not too pricey. Thank you. Sarah

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
1. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

Have a look at www.wotif.com to get an idea of what's available, where and at what price.

You may want to check out Airbnb, stayz and YHA.

Longer term rentals - have a look at www.domain.com.au ... Generally unfurnished and you will of course need to know what location you want to be in.

Other than that, probably inner west or Eastern Suburbs would suit you.

For meaningful advice, we need to know when you're coming, budget. Sydney is rather a large town. About 4.5 million people. Hospitals all over the place.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

I would have thought that place of work would determine location. No point in getting a flat in Bondi and a job at Westmead Hopsital, then commuting an hour and a half each way to get to work.

>>not too pricey<< in Sydney has a different meaning to every other city in the world - including London! Be prepared for a shock.

As Bokhara suggested, have a look at www.domain.com at the price for furnished apartments. Unlike London, most flats in Australia come unfurnished. Furnished apartments are generally geared towards the executive end of the market - with price tags to match.

You would be better off renting unfurnished and picking up some cheap furniture at charity shops and on eBay.

Another alternative might be to go into an already furnished share house. Have a look on www.gumtree.com

Edited: 4:33 pm, November 07, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
reviews: 116
3. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

Have you made enquiries about employment? There has been staffing freezes at many Sydney hospitals so employment may be hard to secure.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
reviews: 5
4. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

very little casual nursing at public hospitals....agencies might be a go....for an extended stay inner west would be a choice.....you will eat far cheaper in newtown than bondi or cbd

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
5. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

I haven't the first clue about nursing, but if its anything like the demand for qualified doctors, wouldn't remote/far regional areas have a higher demand?

London, England...
6. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

Thanks everyone, I know the question is vague, but am grateful for any help. I will be doing agency work, and have been in contact with some agencies so working should be ok. I understand Sydney is a big city, so wanted any guidance, a friend has recently done this trip and given advice on where to stay also. I have also looked on gumtree. Thank you for all your input.

7. Re: Where to stay in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, November 24, 2014