We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All around Costa Rica

Montr
reviews: 4
All around Costa Rica

Hi there!!!

I am planning a vacation with my husband for january next year to visit Costa Rica.

I was woundering if 2 weeks vacations in Costa Rica would be too much...

We want to see as much as possible and, of course, spend the time on the beach doing absolutaly nothing....

Any recommendation where to go..

Thanks

Kermar

13 replies to this topic
South Florida...
reviews: 27
1. Re: All around Costa Rica

I wish I had 2-3 weeks to spend in CR. I would do the following (rearranging itineraries suggested by experts befor and adding my own):

Week 1 (East):

Arrival to SJO (Alajuela)

Sarchi (Alajuela) 1 night (Poas volcano, Sarchi town, buttefly garden, coffee tour),

Sarapiqui (Puerto Viejo) 1 nights (Rain forest, local tours),

Tortuguero (Caribbean) 2 nights (wildlife, canals, green turtles nesting ),

Cahuita (Caribbean) 2 nights (star fish beach, NP)

Week 2 (West)

Transfer to La Fortuna (air, shuttle, etc.)

Arenal (La Fortuna) 2 nights (Hot springs, volcanoe hike, canyoning)

Monteverde 2 nights (cloud forest train, hanging bridges, aerial tram)

Rio Celeste (Tenorio) 1 night (hike to the river waterfall, horseback rides, mountain bike rides),

Playa Hermosa (Guanacaste) 2 nights (snorkeling, water sports, good swimming -calm ocean),

Rincon de la Vieja (Guanacaste) optional (mud baths, tubing, waterfalls)

Week 3: (South)

Montezuma 2 nights (beach, waterfalls, Cabo Blanco)

Manuel Antonio 2 nights (beach, National Park)

Drake/Osa Peninsula 2 nights (Cocovado NP)

Transfer to San Jose for return flight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: All around Costa Rica

I think two weeks is just great...enough time to see a lot of my great country!

roadadvisor

Montr
reviews: 4
3. Re: All around Costa Rica

Hi again!!!

It seems absolutely amazing !!!!

Your insights help me to take a decision, thank you very much...

By the way, I am brazilian, if one day you need informations about where to go, I'll be glad to help.

Thanks again

Kermar

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 10
4. Re: All around Costa Rica

We love it down in Dominical. I have hosted 342 separate guests at my vacation rentals (villas near the beach and a studio (200 meters from the beach and well within your budget) and have been getting high marks for the activities I suggest they should not miss in our area. We pretty much have everything except volcanos down here. Dominical has a reputation as a surfing party town but a lot of us are retired down here and enjoy the laid back lifestyle we have found. A week in our area which has day access to Manuel Antonio is sufficient I will be glad to share information of our area if you want.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
5. Re: All around Costa Rica

Andrew, you are planning to ambitious. Staying 2 nights gives you max. 1 and 1/2 day at each location. Driving / transporting in Costa Rica is a time consuming affair. And you do not even want to rent a car?! So I don't see how will you be able to do all the activities planned at each location.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
6. Re: All around Costa Rica

I agree. Racing around from place to place does not really create a Pura Vida type vacation. I would spend at least 5 nights in each location. One needs to "Slow Down" to see what this Country is all about. Take walks, hikes and just sit still to maximize appreciation of the natural wonders and wildlife. We like to rent self catering places for one week min. Take 3 or 4 "adventure day trips" and chill for the rest of the week enjoying beaches, porches and views, placing fruit out to attract tropical birds, visiting local markets and using the bbq to enjoy fresh grilled fish & veggies with wine outdoors in the evening. Since OP wants to spend some beach time "doing nothing", 2 wks is certainly not too much at all. Maybe ck out Arenal or Monteverde for a week and then Dominical for another. Allows for two completely different environments and activities. Maybe fly into San Jose and out of Liberia. If you do travel RT from San Jose plan to spend an afternoon/evening in Alejueala (near the airport) before flying out to avoid rushing to the airport with possible weather/traffic delays

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 10
7. Re: All around Costa Rica

I totally agree with xelas about trying to go to so many places. Half your time will be going from Point A to B and checking in and out of places. In your quest to see everything you will end up seeing less than if you were to pick a couple of places to really get to know and enjoy those areas. Plan on public transportation taking twice as long to get from Point A to B (but much cheaper) and hiring a taxi/van service will cost more than a rental car if you are to try to get to all those places. Not to mention the logistics and timing required.

South Florida...
8. Re: All around Costa Rica

To each its own. This is a "menu" I suggested. You may pick what suits you.

Edited: 8:38 am, June 06, 2013
South Florida...
9. Re: All around Costa Rica

Kermar, I'm actually planning to go to Brazil for the World Cup. It should be the best time to travel there due to all the security upgrade. Right? :)

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
10. Re: All around Costa Rica

two weeks ain't enough! if all you have is two weeks, i suggest three places. you can't say you've been to cr without going to arenal, lots to do here. white water rafting, ziplines, hanging bridges, a volcano, huge waterfall to name a few. i would ho at least four days here. if you like beaches there are many towns to choose from. one of my favourites is montezuma. lots to do and see and probably the cheapest area in all of costa rica. other beach towns i really enjoy are samara, dominical and zancudo. as mentioned, if you go to dominical, you can do a day trip to manuel antonio or the other way around.

Reply to: All around Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo
More Manzanillo Topics