We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Which Silver Sands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 27
What "toys" are available at Silversands?

I know that there is tennis, kayaks, boogie boards and a club house at Silver Sands, but I'm wondering what is provided to guests. We are hoping to only take carry on bags this year so tennis rackets won't fit. I'm not even sure my snorkling gear will fit either. Are any of these sports equipment available to guests. Also, is there a fee for using the kayaks and boogie boards? I've read about the man on the beach (Errol?) who will take you out snorkling, does he have equipment to borrow? Does the club house have any sand toys for children to borrow? Thanks, just planning the packing job for the whole family.

31 replies to this topic
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 2
1. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

We stayed at Silversands 2 years ago...we didn't get to use the kayaks because the water was rough from the bad weather they had the week before we arrived, so i can't recall if there was a fee. I didn't see any sand toys that kids could use.....but we had brought our own and weren't really looking. We actually just came back from Jamaica last week, and went out snokelling with Errol. We stayed in Duncans Bay, just outside the Silversands gates just past Leroy's Bar. Errol has snorkelling gear to use. He is really great. He will come by your place and let you know whether the water is too rough to go out, rather than just trying to make a buck and taking you out in bad conditions.

Make sure you pack bug spray. I think that they might spray the Silversands grounds, but we stayed just outside Silversands, and came home with a lot of nasty bug bites. I usually bring it, but forgot this last trip, and we payed for it (my husband came home with over 200 bites)

Which house are you staying in? We stayed at Tia Maria 2 years ago with our young children and had such a great time. Definately an awesome place to stay with children.

Ontario
2. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Thanks for the advice, especially the bug spray! Not sure if we'll be able to pack it if we limit ourselves to carry ons. Maybe we can buy it in Duncan's or at the Villa mart? We are staying at Hang Time and our friends are at Beach Haven. Really looking forward to the villa experience after all inclusives for the past 4 years.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 2
3. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Oooohhh......Hang Time is awesome! It is on our list of villas to visit. I was in and out of the grocery store in Duncans, and didn't bother to look for bug spray, but it must be avail.

What time of the year are you travelling?

Virginia
4. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

As far as I could tell, it seems that sand toys are available at a villa level. I know the villa I will be staying at in December (Cannon Cottage) has them, so you might want to contact MySilverSands (or whatever booking agent you are using) to inquire about your particular villa. I think they sell them at the Villa Mart if your villa doesn't have them. You are probably better off buying a few cheaply in the US, packing them and leaving them behind to make room for souveniers on the way home.

Rental fees for kayaks and boogie boards can be found here: mysilversands.com/content/rental_items.aspx It is kind of buried within their website.

I can't remember if the Villa Mart had bug spray, but I think they had some limited varieties of sunscreen so I would imagine they would have it as well. You could bring bug spray wipes if you are worried about liquid carryon limits.

Virginia
5. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Keep in mind that you all might want to do snorkeling from shore (West Beach, left of the jetty). Not sure if Errol would lend out his equipment if he isn't taking you snorkeling, but it might be worth it to ask if you can borrow it for a small fee. You could pack just the snorkel and mask since the fins are what take up the most room and aren't that necessary if you are just hopping in for a short while.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
6. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

I bought 3oz OFF pump spray to put in my carry on. No issues.

Ontario
7. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be checking around for small spray bottles of bug spray, and/or the wipes. It's hard to find these items in the Great White North this time of year ;) I may check out ebay.

@cntw8 : We are heading there in March.

Ottawa Ontario
reviews: 9
8. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

We just came back from Silver Sands yesterday. It was our 5th consecutive year there and we've booked again for next year already. We stayed at Hang Time a couple of years ago and would definitely recommend bug spray. The farther away from the water, the more bugs there are. Strange how it affects some and not others. Out of the ten of us this year, three had an allergic reaction to the no-see-ums...Finally found some quick relief, hydrogen peroxide followed by lanacaine for the itch.

You can purchase some bug spray and many other things at the Progressive Supermarket on the way from the airport. Just ask your driver to stop there.

In the past we have booked a Sports Package from mysilversands for 25$ per person which gave us access to the tennis courts(they supplied balls and rackets), boogie boards and sea kayaks. There is also a ping pong table at the patio area and a net for beach volleyball.

This week there were a few kite surfers there from Saskatchewan so we got to watch them perform a few tricks.

There were lots of families last week and I suspect there will be lots during Ontario March Break so it should be easy to make some new friends!

Ontario
9. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

Thanks Kanucks! Great advice. We will definitely stop at a supermarket on the way there. I got some insect repellent wipes, but some spray might be a good idea too. We also need to buy sunscreen as we are only taking carry-on bags. Did the bugs bite all over or just the lower legs? One of my boys really reacts to mosquito bites so I'm a bit concerned about him now. Leaving on Friday! Really looking forward to it!

england
10. Re: What "toys" are available at Silversands?

I'm also thinking of staying at Silver Sands but im struggling to decide on a villa!

Kanucks - which villa did you stay in?

m0m23b0ys - Where are you going? Have you been before?

Any advice would be much appreciated! .

Reply to: What "toys" are available at Silversands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted