We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

Which Silver Sands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
reviews: 5
I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

We are thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa (possibly Tia Maria)for our next holiday. We have experienced the all inclusives and would love to experience a different side to Jamaica. I've only been able to find two reviews on Trip Advisor for thsi villa, both dated 2009... If you've stayed at Silver Sands or you've stayed in Tia Maria please let me know your experiences, and any tips/suggestions for things to do or places to go when we are there.

Dumfries, Virginia
reviews: 6
1. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

my last stay at silver sands was at tia maria...i loved it !! its an affordable house with a decent pool and elaine the cook is awesome : ) i am a huge fan of silver sands and have stayed in a few different villas and enjoyed them all. it is a quieter vacation than a resort but its my favorite way to go..

Barrie Ontario
reviews: 12
2. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

We just returned from a week a Azure Cove Silver Sands. It was great and we are going back in April it is quiet and you are definitely on your own time. I would suggest getting a cab and having him take you around Ocho Rios. There is a tour desk at the store in Silver Sands. Beach is very nice.

windsor ontario
reviews: 42
3. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

We have also stayed at Silversands several times, way better than staying at an AI. I always spend a lot of time on Jacob Taylor beach hanging with the wood carvers and at the Green Dolphin, Leroys and Julets.

United Kingdom
reviews: 5
4. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

Thank you very much for your responses. I've now booked Tia Maria for next year. I'm really looking forward to it.

There will be 3 possibly 4 adults staying in the villa, can you give me an indication of how much we should allow for food and tips for a 1 week stay ?

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 2
5. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

We just stayed in Duncans Bay, just outside Silversands gates. There were 4 adults, and we spent around $500 on food. That included lobster, fresh fish, chicken, porkchops, pop, snacks, booze, condiments, bottled water, and fresh produce. We ate and drank a lot for the week.

We have also stayed at Tia Maria 2 years ago...each time we have tipped the housekeeper 15-20% of the cost of the villa, and were happy to do so. Elaine will cook you wonderful meals and even do your laundry. She is a very sweet lady.

Bring bug spray.....my husband and the 2 others we were with got eaten alive. It was rainy before we got there, so that may explain the amount of bugs.

Anyways, you will enjoy Tia Maria. The villa and the staff are awesome. Have fun!

Calgary, Alberta
6. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

As for things to do....the snorkelling is pretty good. Right off shore is a reef, which makes for good snokelling and a nice calm beach. Errol, who you can find at Rum Jetty, can take you out in his boat and provide snorkel equip if you want. He is a great guy, and prices are decent.

There is a cave near by, but apparently according to our driver, recently someone experienced an allergic reaction and severe breathing troubles while in there, so i am not sure how good the air quality is. Our driver suggested staying away.

jamaica
reviews: 1
7. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

Interesting about the cave....I live in Duncans Bay & there have been many times my husband has taken our guests to the cave.....never had a problem like that. The cave is not totally enclosed either....there are several areas that have natural "skylights". I'm wondering if the person maybe had an allergic reaction to the bat guano?????

Calgary, Alberta
8. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

I have never been to the cave....we had out little ones with us 2 years ago and decided not try. So this year when we went on an adult vacation I asked the driver if he knew where they were. Perhaps he just didn't want to be bothered and came up with a story....who knows. We were just staying at One Rhythm and walked past your villa. I absolutely love the area!

New England, USA
reviews: 39
9. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

I stayed in Tia Maria last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wrote a mini review of it a while back. Elaine, the chef/housekeeper was very sweet and nice. She kept the place nice and clean. I loved the yard...hummingbirds everywhere! The yard is fairly large and private with a large veranda out back as well as a pool. There is also huge veranda out front. Have fun!

Edited: 2:19 pm, November 03, 2011
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
10. Re: I'm thinking of booking a Silver Sands Villa in 2012

I didn't have issues with the cave either, it's mostly open, air does move through. Some pics and a report form when I visited:

travelsinjamaica.com/2010/03/jamaica-march-2…