We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Which Caleta De Velez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

My family (me, husband and 16-year-old son) are going to have a rest in Costa-del-Sol in July for 19 days. We are looking for is not too promoted and noisy resort with a crowd of tourists, but not too quiet boring town/ village. We would like live in small town with good beaches (My family (me, husband and 16-year-old son) are going to have a rest in Costa-del-Sol in July for 19 days. We are looking for is not too promoted and noisy resort with a crowd of tourists, but not too quiet remote town/ village. We would like live in small town with good beaches (chaise lounge, sunshades, showers, dressing cubicles, WC), a selection of nice local Spanish dishes inexpensive café or restaurants, shops/ market stalls etc in the evening, to enjoy strolling and cycling. In general, do not want to miss a very lonely and uninteresting place. We have a few apartments offers: in Caleta de Velez (Caleta del Sol) and Benajarafe. We would like to feel the authentic atmosphere of Andalusia. The conditions accommodation in Benajarafe much more better then in Caleta, but as I’ve read about Benajarafe, it’s a too small and boring place while Caleta more interesting place nearby Torre del Mar (we can go to there by foot). Please, who knows and has been both places, help determine the choice. One more thing: we want to hire a car. Could someone give an advice inexpensive rent car company in Malaga? We’ve found some company in I-net but their price is too expensive. Thank a lot.

10 replies to this topic
Torrox, Spain
reviews: 47
1. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

No dressing cubicles at either place. Sun umbrellas and sun beds only available for hire in Torre del Mar but sun umbrellas are cheap to buy and take from beach to beach with you.

Benajarafe has long beaches but, apart from several bars and restaurants and a handful of shops, little else - apart from an excellent Garden Centre that we regularly visit! Caleta is a bustling little place with an excellent weekly street market every Saturday, attractive port and one of the last working fishing fleets in the area.

Torre del Mar has long, clean beaches (as with all beaches in the area the sand is dark) and a good selection of well priced restaurants and shops.

My personal choice would be Caleta but you are only a short drive or bus ride from Torre del Mar in either place.

Torrox, Spain
2. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Meant to add that sun beds can be hired from some of the beach bars and restaurants in both places if you have a drink or meal there.

For peace and quiet, and slightly less croeded beaches, Benajarafe would suit best but for a more authentic Spanish atmosphere Caleta wins IMO. Being a more residential area, holiday accommodation is probably more varied at Benajarafe.

Edited: 1:37 pm, May 16, 2011
St. Petersburg...
3. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Thank you very much! I'm also more tend to choose Caleta. From what I found on the Internet, she seems more alive. We like to walk and ride bicycles, and therefore from Caleta to Torre this seems more realistic. The only thing that confuses me, it's small apartment at the same price as in Benajarafe where it's much larger and more comfortable. But I think we won't be much time in the apartments. Could you say about air and sea temperature in July. I've read about low sea temperature (only +17-18 C) in this time. Is it true?

Torrox, Spain
4. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Can´t quote actual temperatures - although I am sure that someone will be able to help - but the sea is very pleasant/comfortable for swimming in July.

Edinburgh, United...
5. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Just wanted to know if the village and the walks round about are on a flat surface, my husband is a wheelchair user and when we walkwe want it to be flat and not too hilly.

Thank you

St. Petersburg...
6. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

Actually there hills. By the sea in the main street area is flat, but in the village, that is from the sea, where the villas, the area is hilly. There are quite steep hills. In your case, you could rent a villa close to the flat terrain. But villas far enough from the sea, about 1 - 1.5 km. Although we loved this location - it was quiet and peaceful.

Torrox, Spain
7. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

There are properties below - and within - the Baviera Golf Course with only gentle slopes down to Caleta centre and sea front.

The promenade is ideal for wheelchair users being 5km long.

Spain
8. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

You could also head in the opposite direction to Torre del Mar and walk or cycle along to Algarrobo and Mezquitilla.

You'll need to ignore the ugly high rise buildings at Algarrobo, but that isn't difficult as the gardens are beautifully kept and there are some great restaurants. There are a number of stalls in the evenings selling various things. The atmosphere is lovely along there on summer evenings.

Mezquitilla is pretty unique as at the far end you'll see the paseo has been built directly around the fishermen's cottages. One of them opens up as a tiny shell museum.

It is flat all the way along apart from the footbridge linking Algarrobo and Mezquitilla. This isn't too steep though and it has a ramp.

This is a lovely, family friendly area. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

St. Petersburg...
9. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

I Join Dawn1. It really is a wonderful place! Our rest in Caleta was excellent!!!

east yorkshire
reviews: 22
10. Re: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe

i am so dissapointed i still havnt found anything in caleta for the winter..................any one got any thing......

Reply to: Caleta de Velez or Benajarafe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caleta De Velez