We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

airport transportation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
airport transportation

hello:

are there recommended transportation companies from the airport to local towns? what are the options.

thanks

10 replies to this topic
Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
1. Re: airport transportation

Normally people would just get a taxi.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 56
2. Re: airport transportation

Depends on which airport and which town you are trying to get to. In most tourist areas, Best Day travel is a good option for an affordable shared shuttle. Depending on the hotel you choose, they may also have a shuttle service provided. Taxis are pretty economical too, but make sure they are airport sanctioned taxi's to avoid getting ripped off. Sometimes, individuals will pose as taxi drivers and try to scam you into a higher fare. If you are not sure, it is best to seek help from the tourism office located in the airport for help. The individuals working at this desk will expect tips, but a few dollars in tips is far better than getting scammed by a taxi driver.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 81
3. Re: airport transportation

I have never known a tourist office in Mexico , or anywhere else in the world, not even India, expect to be tipped! I doubt whether there is such an office at SLP, as it's not an especially touristic destination. The airport there is a small one, so there may not be a prepaid taxi kiosk. However, there will be taxis waiting. It is only in areas like Cancun that taxi drivers might attempt to scam foreigners. I suggest the OP tells us where he wants to get to from SLP airport and no doubt the DE for the area can advise on how much they should expect to pay

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: airport transportation

thank you everyone for the inputs. i have been to Mexico on several occaisions. i typically book transportation in advance and have them take me to and from the airport. this helps with budgeting. i realize SLP may not be as touristy and that is why I was asking if the shuttle service was available. I was hoping those familiar with the area could offer some advice.

San Luis Potosi...
reviews: 55
5. Re: airport transportation

Hi, I live in San Luis Potosi state. Where exactly are you trying to get to once you arrive in SLP?

There are official taxis at the airport and they are the only ones allowed to service the airport. There are only a few flights in and out a day. Do not be worried about other cars posing as Taxi drivers. Since it is such a small airport the airport is well secured by the Federal Police . From downtown to the Airport is $12 and from the airport to downtown about $23. If you are staying at La Quinta, any of the Holiday Inns or the Marriot you can write your hotel and arrange for free transportation to the hotel. Tipping the driver a few dollars would be customary. There is also a free phone/hotline to call a few of the hotels from the airport. There are also a couple of small rental car stands.

Let me know where you need to go and I can help you with the transportation aspect.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: airport transportation

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I know lot more information than I knew prior to posting.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 1
7. Re: airport transportation

I'm currently in SLP.

There's an official taxi booth in the airport terminal area. You just pay there and get a cab in front of the terminal.

Zacatecas, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
8. Re: airport transportation

Its an easy cheap taxi ride to the center or other hotel areas. You mention other towns - best I think to rent a car. SLP is mostly a biz travel destination, sadly as there are great attractions for tourists - but for ex the Huasteca is a 5 hr drive, Real de Catorce is maybe 3 - for both of them its lots quicker to have your own wheels.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: airport transportation

thank you everyone for the replies.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: airport transportation

Hello All:

Just to close the loop, thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. All your inputs were right on point. There is a taxi desk at the airport terminal. There are also car rental desk as well. All of the people were kind. SLP is a beautiful city.

Reply to: airport transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Potosi