We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski season over in mid April?

Los Angeles...
ski season over in mid April?

I'll be staying in Heavenly village from 4/12/13-4/19/13 with 2 toddlers ages 3 and 6. From what I see so far, most of the ski resorts will be closed by then. =(

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what activities may still be available for us to enjoy. I was planning to take them sledding, tubing, maybe even skiing, but is that not a possibility? Will there even be any snow left?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
1. Re: ski season over in mid April?

No idea who told you the resorts are closed.....April is prime skiing in that region.

There wil be an abundance of snow for skiing.

Dr. Z

Los Angeles...
2. Re: ski season over in mid April?

I was mainly going by the information on the heavenly resort website. Gondola and ski ends 4/14/13. Do they ever extend the dates depending on the weather/snow conditions?

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: ski season over in mid April?

On the north side of the lake there are 12 resorts. In addition to Heavenly there is Kirkwood & Sierra on the south side. Heavenly does have their season listed as ending on the 14th. If the snow is still good they'd likely extend a week or so. That's a really early closing date. Generally ski season goes to the 3rd Sunday in April.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
4. Re: ski season over in mid April?

You are absolutely correct.... my apologies.

The Vail Resorts took over Heavenly some years ago and have made some changes.

It is possible that Heavenly may stay open a week or so past this date but, of course, they may not decide this until a week or so befor April 14.

Tey Squaw and Kirkwood....They tend to be open later. Squaw Valley is more towards the north of the lake while Kirkwood is towards the south.

As it is now, Heavenly has almost 20ft of snow. If we get some good storms in the next month or so there is a great chance theyll be open for you....

Dr. Z

California
5. Re: ski season over in mid April?

I was going to post the same as drillnfill - It's that all the Vail resorts have a closing date of 4/14/2013.

Los Angeles...
6. Re: ski season over in mid April?

Thank you all for the kind replies. It's a big relief to hear that the date may be flexible. =)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
7. Re: ski season over in mid April?

Can you change to North Lake?

Squaw Valley has an outdoor pool mid-mountain that is one of the coolest things at any ski resort in the US.

squaw.com/things-to-do/…pool-and-hot-tub

And Squaw should be open to the end of April if snow allows. They closed April 29 last year and sister resort Alpine closed May 13.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
8. Re: ski season over in mid April?

Mid April is getting late for ski season. The resorts try to stay open as long as possible and at this point it is unknown about how much snow will fall for the rest of the winter. Most likely you will find most if not all of the snow gone at lake level, but snow still for skiing at the higher elevations. Some snow activities that you mention may not be available, but you will probably be able to ski.

California
9. Re: ski season over in mid April?

If you look at last year's notes on ski season you will see a similar pattern to this year so far. In March there was a surge of snow which resulted in extensions of ski season.

Los Angeles...
10. Re: ski season over in mid April?

thanks again for all your kind replies.

maybe i should start a new post for this, but i'll ask here first. we're driving up from s. cal area and thinking of taking hwy 395 through bishop/mammoth rather than i-5 to hwy 50. i heard it's very scenic, but is this route recommended for april? i looked through other posts, but i can't seem to find anything related to this route.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)