We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Hong Kong
reviews: 64
Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Hi,

I am staying in San Francisco for a month and would like to go skiing during weekends ( dep fri noon - rtn sun noon). I have never been to Tahoe before and do not know which area I should go. I am a high intermediate skier and my little cousin is a beginner snowboarder.

People told me it is about 3 hrs drive from San Francisco to Tahoe depending on the road condition. As I am completely new to this place, I wonder if it is safe for me to drive up there or I should take a bus. But apparently, all buses leaves 3am to 5 am from San Francisco :(

Furthermore, the hotels and ski passes in Heavenly are quite expensive and I wonder if there are other slightly more economical choices......

Thank you all in advance.

California
reviews: 12
11. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

i don't know your dates or what exactly you want in accomodations but i did find weekend rates for a non holiday weekend at the following which is within walking distance to Heavenly:

Nightly rate for example dates 2/8-2/10

Tahoe Park $90 -$222

3 Peaks $89-$167

Embassy Suites - $239

Forest Inn & Suites $169

The weekend of February 16 & 17 is a holiday weekend so you may have to pay much more that weekend.

Edited: 2:24 am, February 04, 2013
Hong Kong
12. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Thank you so much for all the information, you are so kind.

I will check out all the options and hopefully will be able to try out different ski area during my stay in San Francisco.

I am a bit surprised that there are no ski packages from travel agents or more buses going to different ski resorts. It will make life easier :)

Thank you again everyone for all the responses, you all are so helpful. I really appreciate it.

California
13. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

There are buses from SF. I'm sorry did you ask about that further up? I missed it. Here are some links to bus trips:

https://www.nacski.com/mr/booking.aspx…

http://www.bayareaskibus.com/

http://www.tahoesnowandsun.com/sf.html

Hong Kong
14. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

I will check them out, thanks again.

By the way , have you heard of Zimride? I wonder if it is safe....

Hong Kong
15. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

I wonder if you can recommend some hotels in Sierra for me?

Thanks

California
16. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

In Sierra? You mean close to Sierra at Tahoe? That is off highway 50 on your way to Tahoe. Strawberry Lodge is nearby.

http://www.strawberrylodge.com/

Hong Kong
17. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Thanks again for the prompt reply! You have been a great help!

Edited: 10:23 pm, February 05, 2013
Hong Kong
18. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Sorry that I misunderstood , I thought Sierra is another small ski resort area :P . In this case should I stay in the town in Heavenly , then drivf to Sierra ? ( I may sound like an idiot ..)

California
19. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

You can stay in South Lake Tahoe (Heavenly is the name of the ski resort not the location) and drive west over Echo Summit to ski at Sierra if you wanted to. You could also drive to Krikwood.

You can also stay in South Lake Tahoe and take a ski shuttle to Sierra at Tahoe:

www.sierraattahoe.com/SouthShoreShuttle

or Kirkwood on Monday & Wednesdays $15 scroll to the bottom

winter.kirkwood.com/site/group-transport

Hong Kong
20. Re: Ski trip for a weekend - !st time to Tahoe - Please advice

Now I understand ! I really appreciate that you have taken the time to clear out everything for me.

Thank you thank you!