We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for March

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 126
Clothing for March

We are going to visit Whitehorse in March. I am hoping we can still view the Northern Lights? Just wondering if we should rent their winter wear. We skiing regularly in Whistler...is our ski outfits enough?

7 replies to this topic
Whitehorse, Canada
reviews: 1
1. Re: Clothing for March

I'm afraid I don't know what ski outfits are like anymore. You'll want windproof, layers, warm socks and boots, and a toque. Maybe even longjohns.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 523
2. Re: Clothing for March

Layers, you will want layers....

Sydney
reviews: 6
3. Re: Clothing for March

I am also visiting Whitehorse in Feb2014 and am worried I won't have enough warm clothing. If I have plenty of thermals, a feather down jacket, mittens, warm socks will this be enough? I am from Sydney, Australia so have no idea how to ensure I stay warm. Do you need special boots, gloves, something to protect the face? I have tried to find websites/information on how to appropriately dress for the Yukon cold but couldn't find much.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 77
4. Re: Clothing for March

NovemberDingo.

I don't think you have looked very hard. You must do some more research to get on top of the weather. If you get it wrong, it will kill you, particularly if you decide to drive. Read a good guide book.

It can get very cold in February in Whitehorse. -8 to -19 is common. It did get to -36 at the end of last January.

Your clothing will not be sufficient. There are at least two clothing hire shops in Whitehorse. We have used Mens World with success. Give them your sizes, travel and credit card details and what you are planning to do in Whitehorse - and correct clothing will appear at the airport for you.

Sydney
reviews: 6
5. Re: Clothing for March

Thank you for your tips Grahame, apologies for sounding like an ignorant traveller.

I have read the Lonely Planet as well as two other guide books plus researched on TripAdvisor, travelYukon etc but couldn't find anything about specific clothing to wear.

I will definitely look into a rental clothing company, thank you again!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 77
6. Re: Clothing for March

Thats great. You'll have a great time - its a lovely place, and you could be in time for the dog race.

Monmouth, United...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Clothing for March

November Dingo: Sounds like you have already been here: travelyukon.com/Plan/…Weather-and-Clothing

I also plan to visit in Feb and sit outside in the night to watch for lights. Sounds like the weather is highly variable but definitely colder than Sydney (or Oregon, where I'm from). Clothing rental seems expensive, but the outfitter told me it includes insulated parka, pants and boots; also mittens and hat. I was planning to just layer but decided my hands and feet would probably freeze, and my coats are probably inferior. So I'm bringing silk longjohns (they say not to wear cotton; it doesn't wick moisture away from your body), a wool sweater, wool mittens, and maybe a baclava (the winds look bad at times), and the rental will save me hauling a bunch more stuff. Oh, and socks. Better bring heavy wool socks I guess. Maybe I'll see you there...

Barbara

Reply to: Clothing for March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted