We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Vancouver
reviews: 21
Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

I am planning to fly to Whitehorse and rent a car and do a month-long road trip in Yukon and if possible, to Anchorage and back to Whitehorse by different roads than outgoing....

Is there a specific Road Trip Forum for travel within Yukon that covers things like car rental, good places to to stay along various routes, recommended scenic routes for car travel, etc.?

It has been suggested by a poster today, that if I want to rent a car and travel in June or July, I should rent the car now. Is this true? if so, please give names of good reliable car rental places in Whitehorse. Thank you.

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
11. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Warning for those planning trip in YT and AK. First in AK you won't need a google maps or anything like that. There are just a few roads. Second, those maps could send you some peculiar ways. You need to first rely on old fashion paper maps. I remember one time checking mileage between Haines, AK and Haines Junction, AK and google maps send me through Whitehorse, Skagway and on the ferry. There was no other option. Hmm!! It is about 120 miles between these two places.

Finally do not use roads numbers when planning your trips in YT and AK. If you ask someone how you get to highway #1 or whatever number nobody really knows what you're taking about. Residents of Alaska use the names of the roads. The same goes for Yukon. Therefore start using the names like Richardson Highway, Tok Cuttoff Highway, Seward Highway, Alaska Highway, Sterling Highway, Parks Highway, Klondike Highway, Cassiar Highway.

Mafti <<What a great cartoon series! I had Pogo on my wannabes.>> ???

Edited: 10:15 am, January 31, 2012
Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
12. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Skeezix, use kayak.com to compare rates of flights and car rentals. Since you're planning on making a loop use also Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau to compare. Once you decide it will be easy to suggest any routes. But don't limit yourself to Whitehorse only. Also maybe you should consider flying from Seattle. Good luck and let us know. I personally envy your for planning your adventure. After so many trips to YK and AK I don't need maps or Milepost any longer but still every trip is unique and always unforgettable.

Often renting at the off airport locations is less expensive. Not always and that's why you have to compare. Good luck and have fun planning

Edited: 10:22 am, January 31, 2012
Vancouver
13. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Hi again, Places... as usual, some more really excellent advice from you. Thanks so much - I'll have lots of very interesting homework to do!

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
14. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

HI

I found that with Google maps you really need to have a general idea of how to get there rather than letting it calculate the route as mentioned above as it will send you on odd routes

Basic instructions:

Use the "Get Directions" Button

insert the first point A

then insert point B then click on "GET DIRECTIONS" button which will calculate a route

so for this to work the best you need to insert a lot of points of places you want on the route - Use "Add Destination" to do this.

once you have a blue line - you can select the blue line (left button and hold) and drag it around to find alternate routes.

you can also move the points like A B C etc

you can add destinations at any time in the process of building a map.

If you have a google account you can save your maps if not you can use the links button (the one that looks like a chain) and save the link so you can come back to it or send it to someone

hope this helps

Vancouver
15. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Thanks, cbaarch... I will save your posting into my notes; I need to become more familiar with what places I will want to visit before i can utilize your suggestions. I'm pretty good with a map after doing a great many roadtrips over the years.... On one of my first ones when i moved out west to Vancouver, I actually drove to a town just south of Cannon Beach without a map! I just kept going south and angled over to the coast and away I went !

But for my long ttrips, and especially travelling through Alaska and the Yukon, I'll definitely be carrying maps with me, but it's one of those kinds of trips where if I get lost, it's okay? (because wherever I get lost, the scenery's bound to be good! LOL!) Anyway, thank you for taking the time to spell all that out for me. I have a lot of reading to do...

Edited: 6:03 pm, January 31, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
16. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

hahaha, never heard of Skeezix or Pogo eh! The origin of the name Skeezix is here:

Skeezix ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_Alley

Pogo ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_%28comic_strip%29 One of the most famous lines from Pogo was "We have met the enemy and he is us."

For Google Maps, you type in the URL field .... maps.google.ca .... and get this:

http://maps.google.ca/

1. On the left, just under the coloured letters of google, you will see a button saying "get directions." On the right side, you will see an image called "satellite." The map just above is currently set on "map" but if you click on "satellite" it will show you the lay of the land.

Click on "get directions." Up comes 4 icons (car, transit, walk and bike) and 2 destination fields. You can play with Vancouver. If you enter Vancouver in the first field and then say YVR and click on the get directions button, you will see Balloon A will show up around about City Hall, I think. See what happens when you change YVR for "Vancouver International Airport." Notice the choices that appear as a drop down menu. Sometimes you have to think of alternate names to what you want to get the results that you want.

Just under the second destination search field is some blue print, here you can "add a destination" and get segmented routes, times and distances for each segment. I've built a route for about 12 destinations. Sometimes I have to enter silly little places just to get the route to behave the way I want it to go. Sometimes I have to work on a map for a while, finding the right destinations to show the route I want to go. For example, if I want to plot Nelson to Creston, the default is down to Salmo, then east. So I have to enter Nelson - Balfour - Crawford Bay - Creston to get the route and driving info that I am recommending to someone.

Try entering Vancouver and then Kelowna. You'll see the route that comes up is the Coquihalla. But say you want to go Hwy 3 through Manning Park and Osoyoos up to Kelowna. You have to add the necessary destinations to allow you to enter Vancouver - Osoyoos - Kelowna. The default by Google will always be the Coke between Van and the OK.

To give someone some map help from downtown Vancouver (more realistic than City Hall), I always use either "Granville & Georgia, Vancouver" or "Burrard & Georgia, Vancouver." It's perfectly fine to enter an intersection.

2. Aside from the get directions feature, you can enter a hotel (or attraction e.g. Capilano Suspension Bridge) in the main search bar. Say you are arriving in a city and want to find the hotel. You can enter just the hotel name and city. e.g. "Best Western Gold Rush Inn, Whitehorse." That should take you right to the hotel location. Now for the icing on the cake, in the left sidebar you will find a blurb about the hotel. Under that, you will see in tiny blue print "search nearby." Put "restaurants" in the search field and enter that. You can try whatever you want, "museums" etc. It's not perfect but it's pretty good. Sometimes you will need to use the address for what you are looking for, sometimes intersections. I think that mainly happens when the google data base doesn't have the name in it, but they will be able to find pretty much any address. I would imagine the Yukon will be a bit challenging. I wonder how many buildings will have numbers on them. Sometimes rural locations just give "RR 2, Skeezix Road" Hard to say about Yukon T.

Now this is your thread, so we're not off topic. Others may be reading your thread and find it helpful to have this info about using google maps. So I would be happy to provide more tips or iron out any glitches for you either on this thread, which would help others reading too or by Personal Message. (click on my user name and find "send message" down the left sidebar.)

(Edit) oh, where did everybody come from. I must have posted with only #10 showing. Cbaarch, hope you don't mind me adding tips for google maps in my own words.

Edited: 11:43 pm, January 31, 2012
Vancouver
17. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

MuftiMixandma... thanks for all the detail - wow! As for my TA name "Skeezix", it was a nickname when i was very young.... so to read your Wikipedia description was very interesting!

I've gone from no information a couple of days ago when I first posted in this forum, to a whole bunch now! thanks to all the posters here. I'm going to do some research and explore the ideas given here, and will post again when I have questions arising from that. Thanks, again.

18. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, May 22, 2013