We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Vancouver
reviews: 21
Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

I am planning to fly to Whitehorse and rent a car and do a month-long road trip in Yukon and if possible, to Anchorage and back to Whitehorse by different roads than outgoing....

Is there a specific Road Trip Forum for travel within Yukon that covers things like car rental, good places to to stay along various routes, recommended scenic routes for car travel, etc.?

It has been suggested by a poster today, that if I want to rent a car and travel in June or July, I should rent the car now. Is this true? if so, please give names of good reliable car rental places in Whitehorse. Thank you.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
1. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Hi SkeezixVancouver;

There is a "Yukon" forum and there is a "Road Trips" forum. There isn't a "Yukon Road Trips" forum.

For future reference, the Support Forum is available for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

Best Regards

Vancouver
2. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Thank you or your msg - I am currently posting in the Yukon Travel Forum - I know that - I would like the link for the Road Trips forum for the Yukon please. I don't need the Support Forum - I have been posting in Trip Adviser for years... and am aware of the resources.

Just the link for Road Trips forum for travel within the Yukon pls.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

The province/state/territory forums aren't subdivided by topic -- there's just a Yukon forum and sub-forums for specific locations, e.g. Whitehorse. "Yukon Road Trips" simply doesn't exist, so you've already asked your question in the right place.

You could also post your question in the (general) Road Trips forum, but since your questions seem pretty Yukon-specific, I'd bet you're more likely to get good answers here.

Unfortunately, the Yukon forum doesn't get a ton of traffic, so you may not get as many replies or as rapid a response as you're used to.

Vancouver
4. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Thanks for your response... I guess I'll just have to google "Whitehorse Car Rental Agencies" to try and get that info. I would have thought that there would be a "scenic highways or routes in the Yukon" link somewhere - I'll keep looking - I was hoping to find info on specific routes, points of interest along that route, good places to stay, etc say from Whitehorse to Haines, or the rte from WH to Dawson, etc.

I'm sure I'll find the info - it is just not as easy as I thought. I've been posting in the Asian Travel Forums for the past couple of years as I've been travelling in that region, and they have Destination Experts who have lots of info, so I was expecting the same sort of thing on this Forum as the Yukon is a very popular destination...

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
5. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Get Milepost www.milepost.com and you will find all detailed information on <<specific routes, points of interest along that route, good places to stay, etc say from Whitehorse to Haines, or the rte from WH to Dawson, etc.>>

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
6. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

The road trip forum won’t be much help for your trip in YT and AK. It has many “experts” who think they know everything about traveling but they mainly focus on 48 states of the US. I used to post there but you any longer. There is limited number of those who venture from the US to Canada especially as far north as YT. If you want a great number of post regarding your travels in YT stay on the Yukon forum and for AK and YT travels go the AK forum. Some posters who visit AK also visit YT. Mombear, who is the resident of Haines, AK traveled all over YT and AK. She visits the YT forum often but she is probably in some warmer place right now. Look for her name and her posts. www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/mombear

Some time ago when I still participated on the Road Trip forum I posted there about my travels along AK Highway, in AK and YT. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4863499…

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Skeezix, looks like you got a great reply from Places in your other thread. Just one more thought: don't forget to browse through the old posts in the Yukon forum for more ideas and feedback. For example, the thread on Budget Car Rental in Whitehorse (tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155047-i1532-k4417…) seems like it'd be of interest to you.

Vancouver
8. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Hi mattinTO - yes I just read the posts about Budget! Don't think I'll be going anywhere near them... too bad. I did email Norcan Car Rentals and asked for a quote for a month , unlimited mileage and travel on gravel roads. Hopefully, they'll come back with a good rate.

I'm thinking July will suit me better than June... I was a bit shocked at the rates for a small camper van - it was $207/day !! and over $5,000 for the month! Guess I won't be using that form of transportation unless I win the lottery! lol...

I am starting to find out more information... will definitely get the Milepost 2012 and the large map. The small camper would have worked well as I could then not worry about hotel reservations and getting to a certain place at a specific date... it's hard to plan the timing of my route to book hotels at this point because I don't know my route yet or how long I'd like to be at different places... a small compact car would suit me fine.

Yes, Places gave me lots of great information which I will dig into. I would like to take some ferry trips too as I love doing that. Am starting to get more excited as i discover more possibilities for my trip. I don't like to plan things down to the nth degree - like to be more freestyle and not locked into a tight itinerary - with a month to travel, it should be pretty good!

And yes, I have been reading some of Momma Bears and Places older postings on places I'd like to visit and making notes...

Edited: 12:08 am, January 31, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
9. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Skeezix ~

What a great cartoon series! I had Pogo on my wannabes.

It sounds as though you are well in hand with your planning. So you probably already are well aware that Google Maps is a great resource for plotting driving distances, routes and times and getting the lay of the land with satellite view.

Vancouver
10. Re: Is there a "Road Trip" Travel Forum just for Yukon?

Hello MuftiMixandma... I don't understand your first comment in your posting... "What a great cartoon series" ??? "I had Pogo on my wannabes" - ??? You completely lost me on those comments! Care to expand on that?

As for Google maps - I hate to admit it but I've never figured out how to use them - could you advise me on that? Being able to figure out travel time between points and deciding on my routes is crucial in my planning.

Edited: 9:47 am, January 31, 2012