We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Which Moose Jaw hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scunthorpe, United...
reviews: 81
Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

We have several nights accommodation booked in Moose Jaw for June. During the evenings we would like to get out and walk some of the trails around the city. I have read about Wakamow Valley Walking Trails but have not been able to find out any detailed information about them. I understand there are a series of parks with paved trails. BUT I've not been able to find a map showing where the parks are or where the trails go - how long they are, how they all connect up with each other, where access points are. . . Can anyone help out?

We are not bothered about swimming pools, sporting activities but do like wildlife and flowers. Where are the best places to walk for this? Does anyone have any information about Kingsway Park Ecological Zone and the Nature Trail? Where is it? How long is the nature trail etc. Is this the best place to see nature?

Thanks

Eleanor

Regina, Canada
reviews: 21
1. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

The areas around the river and out of town are your best bets for seeing wildlife. This is not a great map but it might help. http://mjtrail.netfirms.com/map.htm

I never did any sort of hiking while I lived in the area but from what I know I would think the Wakamow Valley would be the best area and most scenic place for a walk.

Saskatchewan
reviews: 6
2. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Wakamow is the park area just at the south edge of the city. Go to the Moose Jaw map on trip advisor: the entrance to the main area of the park is at the corner of Maple St. E and 1st Ave. SE. There is parkland following along the Moose Jaw River from there to 9th Ave. SW.

There are trails through the valley along the river: some paved, some boardwalk, some gravel, as well as the trans-Canada trail that Ty & Terri provided the link for (it runs partly down in the valley and partly along the top of the hill).

Wakamow will be lovely in June and there will be many people walking, cycling, or paddling a canoe on the river, children playing in the playgrounds and families enjoying picnics or a stop at the popular burger cabin. It's definately not wilderness, but I have seen a variety of songbirds and waterfowl, rabbits and muscrats. If you are there when it's quiet, you may see deer.

I don't know what the Kingsway Ecological Zone is - I'm going to guess it is the less-populated area of the park closer to 9th Ave. SW.

If you visit the city of Moose Jaw website: www.moosejaw.ca and follow the maps link to the rotary trail link, there is a map showing other walking paths in the city. The tourism section of the city website is very good - perhaps you have already visited it.

I live in Moose Jaw, so feel free to ask lots of questions through the forum, or send me a private message.

Maggie

Scunthorpe, United...
3. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Thanks for all the information. Am I correct in assuming that the different parks just run into each other along the river valley with entrance points at different places?

I've been looking at the maps - which help although I find lack of a scale and detail on them frustrating (OK the city map does tell you how long the different trails are.) I assume these are the best I am likely to find? Perhaps all will become clear when we arrive and start walking. . . .

Another question I ought to ask - are tics or mosquitos likely to be a problem?

Sounds as if they will be a pleasant way to unwind at the end of the day.

Thanks

Eleanor

Regina, Canada
reviews: 21
4. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

If you are walking in areas with long grass or bushy areas then ticks may be a problem. Chances are if you are on a paved path that you will not have any problems with ticks. Ticks like warm dark places, check your hair when you get back to your hotel.

Mosquitos will come after you everywhere. The cities do spray and treat standing water to help control them, but there are still plenty out there.

Use a mosquito repellant with DEET for the best results, I think the DEET also helps keep ticks away. I was also told once that DEET weakens your sunblock so make sure to apply the sunblock more often.

Scunthorpe, United...
5. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Ti and Terri

Thanks for the information. Think we may need to bring out mosquito nets too!

Eleanor

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 14
6. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

DEET will repel the ticks as well as the mosquitoes. If you stay out of the long grass you will be less likely to encounter them. Please do as Maggie suggests and check each other for them.

Wishing a wonderful trip,

Wpgbanker

Scunthorpe, United...
7. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

A question I probably ought to ask - are the ticks just unpleasant or can they carry disease?

Eleanor

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 14
8. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Yes they can carry disease but not all ticks do and I think this should work as a link to an article that provides great information:

atikokanprogress.ca/articles/…Page1.html

Although written for canoeists, this link provides good general information on tick protection and removal. I have lived on the Prairies for over 26 years and I have only encountered 1 tick on my person and it was on my clothes it had not decided to dine on me. They are something to watch out for but don't let them frighten you away from our lovely outdoors.

WpgBanker

Scunthorpe, United...
9. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

Thanks for the web site and information. I don't intend to be frightened off - but believe it is best to be prepared.

Eleanor

10. Re: Wakamow Valley walks Moose Jaw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Moose Jaw
Recent Conversations
More Moose Jaw Topics