We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Universel

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln
reviews: 46
Hotel Universel

I've read the reviews and I'm wondering if Hotel Universel would be a good choice for 1 night stay on our way to Montreal in August? We are looking at doing a bit of shopping. What would be close to this hotel for restaurants and shopping?

19 replies to this topic
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
1. Re: Hotel Universel

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k732832…

You did see the answers to your post?

You say you are going to stop there "on your way to Montreal", the hotel is in Montreal, but in the outskirts. It would not make any sense to stay there in your way to the city, when 20 minutes more driving would have you downtown.

The hotel is not downtown, it is in the east end of the city. Not a commercial area at all.

If I was visiting Montreal for any reason other than the east end attractions I would not stay at that hotel.

If you want shopping and dining, stay downtown.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
2. Re: Hotel Universel

You do know you posted this in the Quebec City forum, the locals there might not even know the hotel.

Lincoln
3. Re: Hotel Universel

I am speaking of the Hotel Universel in Quebec, not in Montreal.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
4. Re: Hotel Universel

Ah interesting that you would choose two hotels with the same name!

That hotel in the St Foy area in Quebec City is very poorly reviewed. It is not near the old city either.

But for going to the big mall in St Foy it in a good enough location.

Would not be my first choice. I assume you are not visiting the old city from there.

Edited: 10:43 am, April 02, 2014
Lincoln
5. Re: Hotel Universel

I thought it was interesting too, we are staying in Universel in Montreal for a wedding, not our pick. This one option in Quebec came up as a discount with work so thought I would research it. I'll keep looking and if you have any recommendations for 1 night in Quebec, price range $100-$150 please let me know. Thank you

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
6. Re: Hotel Universel

If you give me the date I could have a look for you.

Do you want to see Quebec City, as in old Quebec?

How many are there in your group?

Lincoln
7. Re: Hotel Universel

Thank you for your help. I believe I found a place, Comfort Inn and Suites in Levis.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
8. Re: Hotel Universel

Is it for visiting the old city? Because that is not a good location for that purpose.

But if it is on your way from somewhere to Montreal, with no intentions to visit the city, it is fine.

If you want to visit the old city and your budget is very tight then look at the youth hostel or Rue Ste Ursule, they have private rooms with en suite bath and included breakfast. It is in the heart of the old city and rooms are a great bargain. It is a four star youth hostel and all the private rooms are house in a separate building to the dorm rooms. It is a far, far better location the Levis hotel. In fact the St Foy hotel is better than that.

Is budget the issue or are you trying to do something specific?

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
9. Re: Hotel Universel

My guess, bogwoppit, is they priorize, in that order: proximity to the highway, budget, and shopping. No visiting whatsoever.

----

sunseeker20006: for shopping, depending on your purpose (specific stores? amount of stores? local flavour?) you could either go to Galeries Chagnon, near your hotel in Lévis, for basic shopping center stores. There is a Walmart even closer. You could easily walk to either of these if needed.

Or if you want a BIG and extensive shopping experience, then within 15 minutes' drive from the Comfort Inn, you will be at Laurier (over 300 stores, 12 millions visitors per year) http://www.laurierquebec.com/directions and its neighbour Place Ste-Foy, where you must head to Simons if interested in local flavour in clothing. Both Laurier and Ste-Foy are close to the P. Laporte bridge.

Lincoln
10. Re: Hotel Universel

There is no visiting, it's a 1 night stay on our way to Montreal. Will go shopping a bit and eat at Restaurant, that's pretty much it. I think Levis will be a good location for us and our plans.

Reply to: Hotel Universel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted