We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
katy texas
Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

I'll be driving from Quebec City to Kingston just before Christmas. With the chance of snow and winter driving which route is best, north or south of the river?

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
1. Re: Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

This question is just impossible to answer: north or south of the river matters particularly if there is a snowstorm, as one of the shores is usually hit harder than the other. Cannot predict what the weather will be like any day in December, snowstorms even less. BUT the south shore hwy (20) is peppered with exits (restaurants, gas stations, etc) if you are in need of any help, while the north shore drive (40) is more deserted -- an endless serie of trees will be your best companion for a significant portion of the drive between QCity and Montreal.

Edited: 10:44 pm, December 03, 2012
katy texas
2. Re: Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if one side was more protected or something. Sounds like the south side would give me more pit stops if I need them.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
3. Re: Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

You are most welcome. And if you ever need to fill up before Montreal, the Irving at exit 145 (Saint-Liboire) is normally cheaper than gas stations in/around Montreal :) There is a St-Hubert restaurant (local rotisserie chain), a Tim Horton (dougnuts, soup, sandwiches) and a decent convenience store attached to it.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 80
4. Re: Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

Hi firedogut.

I have driven the route between Kingston and Quebec City a few times and it is a good jaunt that's for sure. Will you be driving your own vehicle or a rental? The reason I ask is if it is a rental then the vehicle will be equipped with snow tires as they are mandatory on rentals in Quebec. Having snow tires will make a huge difference when driving in winter conditions.

Safe travels.

5. Re: Driving from Quebec City to Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, December 17, 2013