We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia to Quebec city

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Philadelphia to Quebec city

traveling from Philadelphia area to Quebec. It is a ten and a half hour trip and we'd like to stop over on way. Does anyone have any suggestions? we will be taking I 87. Thanks :)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

You'll hit the half-way mark around Plattsburgh, NY - Lake Champlain area. I'm not that familiar with Plattsburgh, but Lake Champlain is lovely. Just across the lake is Burllington, VT which is a lovely small city. It's accessible by ferry across the lake.

perhaps post in the NY state or Vermont forums.

You will be quite close to the border by this point. I guess it depends on whether you want to cross into Canada before or after your stop.

Edited: 6:58 pm, July 15, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

Indeed if you don't mind ending your first day by a 1 hour cruise over Lake Champlain you could stay in Burlington, much nicer than Plattsburgh. The next day you could drive directly from there to Qc in around 4 1/2 hours without getting too close to Mtl and the urban traffic around that can be horrendeous.

If wishing to do so then you must exit I 87 at Keesville and drive to Port Kent for the ferry terminal as Plattsburgh is not directly linked to Burlington by ferry.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
3. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

You could loop off I-87 at exit 30 and stay at Lake Placid or around there. Take 9N and get back on I-87 at Keeseville. Very pretty in that part of the Adirondacks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
60,373 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

Hi susanvwPa;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
4,963 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

The I87 doesn't run in Canada

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

Saratoga Springs is a nice stopover. Quaint town and decent hotel rates, if the races are not on.

Otherwise, we stop in Malta, just a five minute drive away. There is a drive in movie theatre close by. The Hyatt Place is great there.

wayne, pa
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

thinking of going directly to Burlington for an overnight and going on to Quebec from there the next day. Adds about 45 minutes to total trip for both days which seems like a nice tradeoff, esp the part about not driving as close to Montreal and the traffic. Thanks for the advice!

wayne, pa
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

does anyone have a suggestion for stopover in opposite direction for way home from Quebec to Phila area- somewhere(besides lake George)in NY state?

Thanks again

We leave Sunday for Quebec!!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

Well Saratoga but it is in the middle of the horse racing season so it is really expensive then to find lodging around.

May be Lake Placid???

Or if you don't mind a detour you could get back by Gananoque and the 1,000 Islands. Next morning you could do a cruise in the 1,000 Islands and then hit the road to Philly by I 81 and Syracuse.. But that would leave you with more than 6 hours of driving on the second day and about the same on the first from Qc to Gananoque..

PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
10. Re: Philadelphia to Quebec city

we actually drove the whole way in one day- easy enough until we hit the border and lots of cars returning to Quebec on a Sunday summer evening.