We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 27
Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

I'm trying to decide between these two restaurants for a nice lunch on a Sunday in September. We want true Quebecois food, so I'm leaning towards Aux Anciens, but Lapin Saute gets better reviews. I had rabbit in Italy and wasn't really a fan, but perhaps that wasn't the best place for it?

Which would you choose?

Quebec City
reviews: 39
1. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

Although I have personally never been to Aux Anciens Canadiens (I'll have those meals at home!) I would still suggest you go there if you want "true Québécois food". I love Lapin Sauté, and have eaten there a few times, but much as it's good and lovely, I wouldn't describe it as "true Québécois". I've looked at Anciens Canadiens' menu online (auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/en/menu-du-jour.htm) and it has a much more "traditional" fare. Many of the meals are things I've eaten at home, and my grandmother's, etc. And I know many visitors of Quebec City have been to Anciens Canadiens, and frequently recommend it here on the forums!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
2. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

I say if you can eat at both as I love both.

If you are eatting lunch at Aux Anciens, first make sure you make reservations as it is small. Second, you will get 2 menus, the main dinner menu you can order from, and the lunch menu which will be inside it. The dinner menu is far more expensive, but you will also get a greater variety to chose from. For lunch there are fewer choices. I do agree that for a greater variety of Quebecois and game meat, Aux Anciens is the spot.

The beautiful of Le Lapin, in my opinion, is eatting outside, especially if there is music being played in the little square next door. The setting and the music really add to the meal. Their rabbit and duck dishes are very good,

You wont go wrong with either spot.

JDP

Ontario
3. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

Our plan is to do a walking tour with Tours Voir that ends in Old Town next to the Funicular, which is right near where Le Lapin Saute is located. Aux Ancient Canadiens is up near the Chateau Frontenac, which unfortunately is where the tour starts. So that is coming into play with my decision.

How much time would we need to take the Funicular up and then walk to Aux Ancients Canadiens?

Quebec City
reviews: 39
4. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

I would say the walk up to Aux Anciens Canadiens, with the Funiculaire ride, would be between 5 and 10 minutes, tops, depending on if you have to wait at the Funiculaire. If you feel up to it, you can also go up the steep stairs to your right when facing the Funiculaire, but taking a ride on the Funiculaire is still always fun, and the view is nice as well.

I agree though that eating outside at Lapin Sauté is a very fun experience. Best would of course be eating at both restaurants!

Edited: 11:18 am, June 29, 2012
Ontario
5. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

Thanks for the great advice. We've decided on Aux Anciens Canadiens for our lunch. :)

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 79
6. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

I think you made the right decision. Dining at Aux Anciens ...the food, the costumes, the ambience ....all those factors combined will leave you with a memorable experience. And if you ever happen to be in Quebec City during the week from Monday to Friday, another experience I would highly recommend lis unch at Le Parliamentaire.

Hope you enjoy your time in Quebec City.

Edited: 10:07 am, July 01, 2012
Vancouver
7. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

Would one have to make reseravtion well in advance to eat at Aux Anciens Canadiens??? If we show up on the day do you tink we could get a spot??

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 23
8. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

I had a great dining experience at Aux Anciens Canadiens many years ago....I see it's still great............

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
9. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

As my esteemed colleague JDP wrote Aux Anciens Canadiens is located in a very small building. The oldest in Qc in fact. So I would say don't take chances and make a reservations. Being on Saint-Louis Street just 2 minutes from the Chateau Frontenac the whole area is mobbed by tourists so I would certainly take that into consideration but you might be lucky and get a table for lunch walk-in, particularly if you show up very early or very late and not around noon.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 79
10. Re: Aux Anciens Canadiens or Le Lapin Saute?

cindymkali.

I hope you enjoy it, it would be great if you could let us know what you thought of it.

kleeq.

It's possible you may get in last minute, but if it's something you really want to do I would recommend making a reservation especially if it is in the busier summer months or around the carnival time.