We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in March?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 5
What to do in March?

I'm thinking of heading to Quebec City for a few days in mid-March. Looking for suggestions of what to do. I'm interested in history, culture and relaxing.

UG

Gravenhurst, Ont...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
reviews: 30
1. Re: What to do in March?

On March 19, 2011 the Red Bull Crashed Ice event will take place in old Quebec. Here's the link:

quebecregion.com/en/…

If you're interested, it sounds like a blast. If not, I would not attend Quebec City that weekend due to the crowds.

D in Muskoka.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
2. Re: What to do in March?

Hello

The fun in Qc is just walking around and discover interesting spots/places at every corner. I will repeat the warning about the Red Bull Crashed Ice, as for Carnaval this event will make hotels fall back on their high season rates and there will be a lot of drunk students from other provinces and the US since our legal drinking age is still 18 y.o..

Ok so you walk around, if feeling cold you can go in a café or a boutique or enter monuments like the Cathedrals or the Assemblée Nationale (parliament) that cost nothing.

Beside that I will suggest that you visit the Museum of Civilisation in Lower Town and buy a combo ticket that will also enable you to visit the Interpretation Center at Place Royale and also the Musée de l’Amérique Française in the old seminary in Upper Town. That will be an inexpensive way to spend some time inside if it is too cold.

Other possibilities: ferry to Lévis and back, tour of Fairmont Chateau Frontenac, visit at Parc de l’Artillerie with the stunning scale model of the city made in the early 1800’s. You can also walk on part of the city walls and walk on Saint-Jean st outside the walls to do some skating at Youville Square (they rent the skates). Attend a show at historic Théâtre Capitol just across the square http://www.lecapitole.com/en/index.php. Farther away you can visit JA Moisan, the oldest general store still in operation in North America. Also on Saint-Jean street you can have lunch or dinner in a special place: Le Commensal which is a cafeteria like vegetarian place, you pick whatever you want (many things are yummy even for meat eaters) BUT you pay per gram at the cashier. So something heavy like lasagna or half an avocado can jack up the price.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 66
3. Re: What to do in March?

Hello UltimateGir.

We have visited Quebec City several times in March, and have always had a wonderful time. The nice part about it is the weather is not too cold so you can walk around quite easily. Although I do recommend bringing winter boots, a warm coat and all the other winter clothes essentials ...just in case.

When we're there in March we usually visit the Museum of Fine Arts...have lunch there in the beautiful restaurant. Go to Sillery for nice shopping in the little boutiques. Also the Museum of Civilization is a great interactive museum.

Spend a morning or afternoon on the Rue de Petit Champlain and stop in one of the cafes for lunch.

Also I would recommend lunch or dinner at the Chateau Frontenac, that way you get to see the historical hotel too.

If you get a chance I would also highly recommend lunch at Le Parliamentaire restaurant. It's a lovely place and the food is incredibly good.

Hope this helps you a little.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
reviews: 6
4. Re: What to do in March?

Not to be missed by somebody that likes culture and history is Musée du Fort, not a real museum but a sound and liight show with a mock up of Quebec in, I think 1753, great. Very interesting 45min long.

http://www.museedufort.com/

Ice hotel will also be still opened until end of March and you can take public transportation

http://www.icehotel-canada.com/

So a little more to do.

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 5
5. Re: What to do in March?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

6. Re: What to do in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2012