We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

language issue

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lucan
language issue

We are looking at visitng Quebec City but do not speak French.Is this a issue or even a problem?What have been the experiences of others with this?

Vernon, CT
11. Re: language issue

We just returned from olde Quebec City today, we do not speak French except for basic words, and got along fabulous in the city. When going into a restaurant or shop the people there would say a friendly "bonjour" and when we answered such they would reply in a lovely French, so we would say "no Francais" and they would switch over to English without a skipped beat. So amazing!! We were so impressed with this. Even some smaller shops or places nearby on Isle d'Orleans where some don't speak any English they are so friendly that somehow you understand each other marvelously. :) Don't worry, you will have such a wonderful time in this magnificent city!

Lewiston, Maine
reviews: 11
12. Re: language issue

Quebec City is one of my favorite destinations! Neither my husband or I speak a stitch of French, and were worried about it, but, at least in the old touristy areas, most everyone obliged us in English. We felt a little awkward at first, but started responding to the friendly 'bonjours!' with 'bonjour, hello!', and they would switch to English. No one ever was rude, or made us feel uncomfortable. Only one waitress didn't seem to speak English, but we all laughed about it, and used the old 'point to' method ordering from the menu (which were all either bilingual, or they'd hand us an English one after 'bonjour, hello!'). You should have no problem. Have fun, we always do!

Taylors, South...
13. Re: language issue

I am from the deep South in the United States and was very apprehensive about going to Quebec. I speak a limited amount of French, and slowly. Everyone was extremely friendly. Once they realized I was struggling with French, they switched to English. As long as you are polite and try to speak a little French, you should be fine!

Cold Water, NJ
reviews: 11
14. Re: language issue

The first time we went to Montreal and venture out of the 'tourist' area, we couldn't even order McDonald's chicken nuggets! Perhaps the counter-person was just playing with me but in any case, another person helped us translate. Because of this incident, it prompted my child to take French as a foreign language in school =P But it didn't stop us from going back to visit! BTW: road signs in Quebec are in French, so if you're driving, at least know your NORTH, WEST, SOUTH & EAST in French. Good luck!!

ornithorynx@canada.c...
reviews: 1
15. Re: language issue

To answer BimboBob's comment: funny, when I try the same thing in Toronto, it just doesn't work the same way.