We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental questions

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
reviews: 33
car rental questions

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Canada for a week in August and I'm planning to visit Montreal, Quebec and Ottawa. II was thinking on renting a car and driving but I read that there's a charge for crossing into another province. I wanted to confirm that cause

Also, I checked on http://www.gasbuddy.com/ and for that trip with a small car I estimated I'd have to pay about $100 for gas. How accurate does that sound??

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Montreal
reviews: 41
1. Re: car rental questions

Make reservation simulation on several rental websites with the actual cities and dates and you will get your answer from the renters themselves. Usually, there are no fees from one province to the next.... with some exceptions for cities that are far.

Estimate that it will cost you about 13,00 to 15,00/CAD for each 100km (depending on the type of car you will rent. Don't forget that parking could be more expensive than your gas budget when you travel in big cities. Estimate about 20$ to 25$ per day for parking.

Maybe the bus or train would be more appropriate if you only visit these 3 cities....??? (Because of your budget concerns)

Edited: 6:28 pm, July 21, 2014
Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
2. Re: car rental questions

hi

From Montreal you are trying to go in 2 different directions. You should pick between Ottawa or Quebec City. and do a loop to Mont Tremblant if you want to see countryside.

I have not encountered any problems driving to Ottawa with a Montreal car rental.

Make sure the rental is with unlimited miles; as josee said your gas budget will be the least of your items on your budget to visit and stay for 7 nights.

if you want an estimate of cost of petrol/fuel www.viamichelin.com is a good app to use after you get prices from gasbuddy.com

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 33
3. Re: car rental questions

Thank you so much for the super fast responses. I'm arriving at YUL and my plan was to rent a car there and drive to Quebec city, then hit to Ottawa and then back to Montreal, so def unlimited km.

I ruled out the train cause it is quite expensive. Still considering the bus though.

thanks again

Montreal
reviews: 41
4. Re: car rental questions

Seriously... you should avoid a car in these 3 cities...Parking alone will be really expensive.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
5. Re: car rental questions

I also recommend a bus. The bus departures between the cities are quite frequent and not expensive. It will also allow you to relax on the way, as the drive is quite boring.

Parking is all the cities is costly, particularly Montreal.

Reply to: car rental questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted