We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 7
Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

My husband and I are flying into Montreal for a spur of the moment date night at the end of March.

We will be arriving Saturday at 11am, and leaving the following morning at 10am.

I am looking for a hotel, restaurant, spa, awesome poutine and a brunch spot, all in Old Montreal.

Hotel would ideally be under $200 for the night.

Also, I'm pregnant, so the restaurant menu would have to be something other than sushi or foie gras and I'm not concerned with the wine menu! :)

Help me plan my quickie date-trip!

TIA

9 replies to this topic
Montreal
reviews: 3
1. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

Since you've not received any responses I thoguht I'd chime in and maybe get things started...

I know of two spas in Old Montreal, there's Bota Bota that got a lot of press here when it first opened and nearby is Scandinave. You can google both easily. I can't offer a personal recommendation, it's not my thing.

When it comes to poutine, keep in mind that it is basically a comfort food (fries with hot gravy and melted cheese curds). It can be quite elaborate at foodie/gourmet places to very simple at McDonalds or small hot dog/burger joints. What makes it awesome, imo, is that it's carbs and hot, so it's comforting when cold outside or if you've been drinking. Otherwise, even when it's done 'gourmet' it's still fries. So spend a lot of time out in the cold, or get loaded (uh, you're pregnant so skip that) and any and all poutine will be awesome.

Montreal, QC
reviews: 34
2. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

Here's an attempt (although hotel under $200 is impossible in Old Montreal):

Hotel: Saint James Hotel, Le Dauphin, Nelligan, Hotel Place d'Armes, Hotel Saint-Paul

Restaurant: Bar & Boeuf, Barroco, Bonaparte, Chez l'Epicier

Spa: Bota Bota

Poutine: Montreal Poutine

Brunch: Communion, Le Gros Jambon

Hope this helps.

Montreal
reviews: 41
3. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

check with hotwire for a cheaper rate for your hotel room... even expedia offers rebates on Old Montréal Hotel rooms, even 4 to 5 stars.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 244
4. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

A good hotel in Old Montreal for under $200... not going to happen. Hotwire or Priceline purposely put the Latin Quarter, the Convention Centre and the Village in with Old Montreal because they can't fulfil the dreams of staying in Old Montreal at the prices people want to pay. The hotels that have been on Priceline/Hotwire that are CLOSE are InterContinental, Westing and Embassy Suites, all of which are a street away from Old Montreal on St-Antoine. The only one that is really in Old Montreal is the 2* Hotel Champ-De-Mars (read the reviews).

Lofts du Vieux-Port, Le Saint Sulpice, Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites and Hotel Nelligan might be the best bets at that price. But that's not a recommendation based on quality, just price... read the reviews. (I am an innkeeper, therefore I'm biased and I won't recommend places to stay.)

No comment on brunch... I already know I serve the best breakfast in town :)

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 28
5. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

I can't believe no one mentioned La Banquise for poutine!

http://labanquise.com/en/

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 106
6. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

March is not high season, so check the nice hotels in Old Montreal. I looked at Le Saint-Sulpice where we stayed last spring, for an occasion, and it seems to fit your budget. Hotel is very well situated, clean and charming IMO.

March prices:

http://tinyurl.com/nepvamf

reviews:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155032-d224665-…

L'Arrivage, an affordable French restaurant in modern setting, in Old Montreal, does brunch ..try to reserve window table for views over river and port

pacmusee.qc.ca/en/…larrivage-restaurant

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
7. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

La Banquise was not recommended since the OP asked for places in Old Mtl. So in that area Montréal Poutine will do the job. Beside Bota Bota there is, as mentioned, spa scandinave. having studied a bit of massage myself and having received so many i think that, due to your pregnancy, you should check with your physician first and then call the spas and mention your condition and specific needs. Back massages are usually the most relaxing but will be difficult for somebody in second or last third of pregnancy unless it in a chair massage.

One hotel right in Old Montréal that could fit your budget will be Auberge Bonaparte, breakfast is included and if coming by car the parking is less expensive than other hotels.

All other hotels mentioned by TravelAdvice are very good options and, in fact, and when he mentions close to Old Mtl most people in fact just say that they are there as in fact, they are just across the street from the official boundaries of the historical district. Another in that category that would be nice is Lhotel that often offers super deals. The only caveat though is that their best deals are when their single old elevator is out of order so not the best solution for a pregnant woman.

Finally I just checked for a week-end night in Old Montréal on Trivago and got the Springhill Suites Old Montréal for $125, Auberge du Vieux-Port for $175 and Intercontinental for $135, etc. For other hotels you can come back and check with us to see if they really are in Old Mtl or on its border or farther in the Latin Quarter, etc.

For a brunch buffet i would suggest Restaurant de l'Institut. It is our tourism / restaurant school application hotel and dining room and their Sunday spread is usually very good. Not in Old Montréal though but it is only 3 stops by métro (subway) from Old Mtl (Place d'Armes station), no transfer and the building literally sits on the Sherbrooke station.

as per sushis it is not something that you will find in that area and foie gras is usually cooked. It is a given that it is fatty but it is actually good fats. i would be more concerned about tartars that are as ubiquitous in Montréal menus as Caesar salad in Ontario. Anyways in every good restaurant these are only two items on much larger menus. and all restaurants already mentioned + many others will fit the bill. Just check the menus when walking around and check the reviews to give you an idea.

last suggestion that could fit the bill for an Old Montréal brunch, lunch or dinner at smooth prices would be French / Britton crêpes at Chez Suzette.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 28
8. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

La Banquise is just a few metro stops from Old Montreal, since great poutine was asked for, I don't think it's too far to travel. :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
9. Re: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch

SPAS

Being pregnant, i assume your doctor has warned you not to go to hot sprint/scandinavian style spas. So although i usually agree with my colleagues about Bota Bota and Spa Scandinave, THIS time i'd hesitate to recommend it. You'd end up paying a premium for facilities you cannot use. Better find a good hotel which has a spa integrated, where you can comfortably wait for your appointment. If you are in your 2nd/3rd trimester, do mention that you are pregnant and make sure you massage therapist is equipped for that.

HOTELS

Hotel Saint-Sulpice have good spa services and the hotel itself is very nice too. Romantic location, good service and in Old Montreal.

Hotel Nelligan and Hotel Gault get some great reviews though i don't think they have a spa.

Le Saint-James is definitely a great hotel, if you can afford it!

Le Place D'armes is a great hotel with RainSpa so you should look at it as well.

RESTAURANTS

-For a restaurant near your hotel, Bevo pizzeria is a beautiful trending restaurant and has nice wood oven pizzas : http://www.bevopizza.com/en/

-For either lunch or dinner, at an affordable price, try Stash Cafe: http://www.stashcafe.com/

-For breakfast or brunch (french style) there is the ever-so-popular Olive et Gourmando.

I hope this helps!

Reply to: Date night: Hotel, restaurant, poutine, spa & brunch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted