We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal to Quebec City

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stony Point, New...
Montreal to Quebec City

Hi~ taking a train from NY to Montreal (10 hours but suppose to be beautiful) We would also like to see Quebec but the only option seems to be to rent a car or board another train.

I thought a day cruise would be nice but can not find one we are traveling 10/12-10/15/13.

Open to any options. Traveling with 4 adults and 3 teenage girls.

~Marie

15 replies to this topic
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

If you do take the train it's not bad at all. Only 3 hours to Quebec City. From the train station you can walk to the heart of Old Quebec in 15 minutes. No need to rent a car in Quebec City as you'll be in old town anyhow and everything there is within walking distance.

Not sure about day cruises at all...someone else can help you.

Montreal
reviews: 41
2. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Very large car / mini bus rental seems to be the best option in your case.

Edited: 3:10 pm, October 04, 2013
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
3. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Take the train ... it's nothing like Amtrak from NY ... much better service and comfort.

You could also take the bus - Orleans Express. The buses are in very good condition, clean and comfortable (nothing like the Greyhound buses in the US).

http://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Or as noted, rent a car - but you won't need it once you're in the city.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
4. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

I hate to say it but the best option is too avoid the train from NY to Montreal. Have you read the reviews here. Practically no one recommends it. It is a milk run. The toilets overflow, any food or water runs out, the border crossing is long. If you can drive the car. Yes, the leaves i'm sure might be pretty but reconsider if you can.

Now the train from Montreal to Quebec, wonderful in my opinion. Comfortable, clean and efficient.

JDP

Stony Point, New...
5. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Thank you all for the feedback. I did read several reviews and not all flattering but the dome train sounded so fun! We have not purchased the train tickets yet so we do have options. I am thinking now driving up 6 hours maybe the way to go and training from Montreal to Quebec.

Thanks again for quick responses

~Marie

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
6. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

I took the train from Vancouver to Toronto when I was young and it took days and days and days and I must say I loved it -- I liked the idea that although I was not going to arrive at my destination quickly, I would be seeing a lot more of the countryside. And this is through the prairies which are a lot less interesting than the Adirondacks. A LOT less :) And I much prefer the train to the bus or even driving: the train goes through the centre of towns, for example, so you get to sight see a bit, albeit not much. And train tracks take up no space, so you have fields and trees right outside your window, and the feeling for me is more of taking a walk in nature compared to the wider freeway with its shoulders and constant signs and industrial sprawl (although the freeways of Vermont, upstate New York, and New Hampshire are particularly beautiful I must say). As well, I love the swaying motion and the clickity clack sound and even the smell, although I'm basing this on Via trains which are amazingly clean. And I like being able to get up and walk about whenever I feel like it, rather than at a rest stop just for that purpose.

That said, I've still never done the train down to New York because it just takes sooooooooo darn long :)

Edited: 5:36 pm, October 04, 2013
Burlington, Canada
7. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Agreed Tristou. Train travel is very romantic. Just hearing a train whistle off in the distance gets my heart pumping. I traveled all through Europe on train and loved every minute. Also did the train from Toronto to Quebec City and enjoyed the trip immensely....even if it did take 11 hours. I had a few beers, relaxed, had some food and took in the sights. A truly great way to travel.

Edited: 8:56 pm, October 04, 2013
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
8. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

LOL Krusty ... if you lived where I do your heart would be pumping constantly - an average of 75 trains a day roll through my town ... whistles blowing ... after awhile you recognize the engineers from the way they blow their whistles... but you always know if there's a problem on the line... because you miss those whistles and the rumble as they cross the bridges.

Amtrak - ugh ... did Toronto to NY once - 12 hours of hell. Never again. VIA is a dream in comparison.

Burlington, Canada
9. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Unfortuately I rarely hear them where I live. For some reason they don't sound the whistle going through Burlington. But let me tell you, that distant train whistle has always been special. I can remember being a young kid, lying in bed at the cottage, listening to my cheap little transistor radio late at night trying to get those far off stations in Chicago and St. Louis (which always fascinated me) and then far off that lonely train whistle echoing off in the distance. I'd get goosebumps....seriously. Our cottage was 12 miles from Parry Sound and you could hear it nice and clear. I'd imagine where the train was going and I'd think about the people on board.

A few years later, in my early teens, I would visit my Dad's parents in Europe, who lived on a farm. The train train tracks were located about 5 miles from their place and every night I'd hear the whistle. Again, I'd get that same feeling as I did up north at the cottage and the same thoughts went through my mind.

It's those childhood memories that are the sweetest....and the most lasting ones at that. Sorry if that was too much personal info....just thought I'd share....lol.

Stony Point, New...
10. Re: Montreal to Quebec City

Thanks for all the insight. We have decided to drive from NY to Montreal. I take Amtrak frequently form NY to Boston and it is always a great trip, granted it is under 4 hours but I get to read, catch up on work or just take in the sites. So when we thought of NY to Montreal I thought it would be double the leisure! LOL

We are going to take the train from Montreal into Quebec was hoping for a cruise but they do not seem to operate in October, which was a bit of a bummer.

Any must do's for sites and restaurant welcome.

~

Reply to: Montreal to Quebec City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted