We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recs?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
reviews: 20
Restaurant Recs?

My husband and I will be visiting for our anniversary next week and would like a few restaurant ideas. We would prefer mid-range prices, but maybe one fancier place for our anniversary dinner on Sunday. We like all types of food, but one of us is a vegetarian so that can be limiting. We will not have a car, and are staying in the Quartier Latin.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 255
1. Re: Restaurant Recs?

Okay, you have to define mid-range for us, because it doesn't really help us. One person's "mid" is different from others. Vegetarian in Montreal can be very limiting. And the day of the week is important since many restaurants are closed on Monday, some also close Sunday night and others on Tuesday. Also what kind of restaurant do you want (and please don't say French without qualifying it, since it refers to anything from poutine fast food to old French with all the sauces and everything in betweeen including local, which isn't really French, but seems to get lumped in there.)

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 18
2. Re: Restaurant Recs?

My favourite vege restaurant is Aux Vivres on St Laurent. Their club wrap,is delicious.

New Orleans...
3. Re: Restaurant Recs?

Midrange to us is $15-25 USD for a main course. We will be having a total of 8 meals while there, so I don't want to limit advice to one type of cuisine. I'd be happy to hear favorite restaurants, and can look into them further for veg options and hours.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 255
4. Re: Restaurant Recs?

That's a little low on Montreal scales for mains. You will have to check the menus, as I know that some of them have very limited vegetarian options.

Pintxo as long as you stay with the cheapest tapas and keep under 6 tapas for the two of you.

Laloux, but you will have to watch your pennies, but only if you are pescatarian

Beaver Hall for bistro (wonderful tartare), but you will have to check if they have anythign vegetarian

Lola Rosa on Parc or Milton, both vegetarian

Aux Vivres, vegan

Chu Chai, vegan thai (but not GF).

Gado Gado, Indonesian (not too romantic through)

A bit of a splurge but Chez Chose always has a vegetarian platter and serves inspired cuisine du terroir, using the best of local ingredients. But other than the vegetarian platter, it will push the limits of your budget.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
5. Re: Restaurant Recs?

Montréal is a little harder than many places for vegetarian food, although I spent 14 of my years here being a vegetarian so it is possible. As with most places, you'll normally find at least one vegetarian dish in almost any restaurant, although not at, say, Bar-B-Barn and often it will be pasta or as someone pointed out once, all restaurants think vegetarians live on Portobello mushrooms :)

You might want to check out happycow.net/north_america/… for more suggestions.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
6. Re: Restaurant Recs?

Just a few doors away from Beaver Hall you will find Andiamo owned by the same company. It is located in a very business oriented part of downtown so customers at night are a bit difficult to attract. It seems that Beaver Hall worked through this growing pain and is now offering only «à la carte» at night except for a small menu with limited choices that goes for around $35 but including half a bottle of wine. It is not very vegetarian friendly but you can give them a call in advance to request some vegetarian choices and you will get them. Executive chef Jérôme Ferrer is very generous and love to make people happy. I just read reviews of their more expensive restaurant, Europea, and the table took the 12 courses tasting menu minus one vegetarian and the kitchen kept sending all the courses but totally vegetarian for one person.

Well back to Andiamo, this restaurant offers the same «table d'hôte» menu at the same prices for lunch and dinner and, depending on the main course it varies from $17.50 to $27.50 for an appetizer and a main course. Again the vegetarian options might be limited on the menu but just a phone call a day earlier will insure that your veg has choices beside salad and pasta.

Chu Chai already mentioned is specialized in mock duck and other «fake» meats and seafoods and does an excellent job at that.

In the Village Lallouz could be a nice place for special Lebanese food. The appetizers are made of many salads and the main courses are mostly grilled items. For a vegetarian apps will not be a problem and they can probably offer falafels for the vegetarian main course. As far as I can recall the lunch «table d'hôte» is around $12 and the dinner one at $16 or so. And it even include home made lemonade.

New Orleans...
7. Re: Restaurant Recs?

Thanks!

reviews: 36
8. Re: Restaurant Recs?

I just returned from Montreal, am a former New Orleans resident now living about 2 1/2 hours away. We frequently drive down for the day. That said, if you will give me the names of some NO restaurants you love, in the price range you are interested in,I'll let you know if any restaurants we visited in Montreal correspond. ALSO, one of the most fun things we did in Montreal was a walking food tour. If interested, let me know and I'll get that contact info from one of my travel group! Enjoy!!!

9. Re: Restaurant Recs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2014