We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 1
Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Will be in Montreal in 2 weeks for yet another unforgettable visit.

Called the hotel to inquire about buying a 1 day pass to use on bus 747 only to get the standard answer: "Buy it at the Metro station".

Does anybody know if I can get it upon arrival at the YUL airport and if I can pay by credit card?

I want to escape the hustle off obtaining exact change to pay for 3 tkts on board the 747 bus.

Merci.

19 replies to this topic
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
1. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

You can buy the passes from the STM (our transit authority) ticket machine at the airport and it accepts debit and credit cards and Canadian cash; however, some people have reported that their American credit cards didn't work -- whether it's a question of chip-vs-swipe card type or their specific bank we'll never know. I asked Customer Service once and they said "no American credit cards work" and yet people here have reported that theirs DID work so the truth might be elusively in the middle... let us iknow if YOURS works :)

You can also buy them from the ICE foreign exchange counter where a real person can probably solve any problems with the card that the machine couldn't, or find an ATM in the airport and get some cash and use that.

Keep in mind that you can buy other types of passes, too, if you are planning on using transit while here, such as a 3-day pass; on the bus, as you know, you can only buy a 1-day pass with coins.

Maryland
reviews: 2
2. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

I think it is a chip vs. swipe thing. I have an American credit card, but I called my credit card company (Citibank) and asked them for a card with a chip since I was going to Canada, and they sent me one within 24 hours of my call. I had never used a card with a chip before, so it was a bit confusing for me the first couple times I used it, but after that I had no problems. Just know that when you buy your tickets at the machine, leave your card in the slot until instructed to take it out and you will have no problems. I kept wanting to "swipe" the card in and out instead of leaving it in the slot. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Good luck!

New York
3. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Merci, Tristou. Thank you, gimmeshelter123.

My bank is sending me a card with a chip.

A propos, what is ICE?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
4. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

The name of the company -- I suppose it stands for International Currency Exchange, but who knows? It may be something mysterious in French :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 99
5. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

There is an ATM very close by. But, I once had to pay for a pass with a CC because the ticket machine would not take cash that day, so it's good that you're getting a card with a chip.

Edited: 9:18 pm, August 19, 2013
New York
6. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Thank you, guys, for the quick answers. Much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
7. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

You don't need to buy a chip card for the 24 hours, 3 days, week-ends and other special passes. These comes in a cardboard with magnetic stripe format. Same for a one passage only.

It is for the weekly and monthly passes or the 10 ride with reduction that you will need the OPUS.

Edited: 12:42 pm, August 20, 2013
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
8. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Uh, we're talking credit cards with chips, not the Opus card, Rick. I think you need some more coffee.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 226
9. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

Buy it at the airport, only place where all credit cards are accepted. US cards are generally locked out of the system at most other stations.

New York
10. Re: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal

I will try to buy it with a chip and non-chip card and will inform you.

Reply to: Ticket/day pass for Bus 747 from YUL to downtown Montreal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted