We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town parking vs metro

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico
reviews: 22
Old Town parking vs metro

We're going to be in Montreal in 2 weeks, staying in Laval, and will have a car. On a Saturday afternoon we were planning to visit the Old Montreal area. I was figuring out the cost of transportation, and metro is $5.50 for a roundtrip, so it will be $22 for our family. I found there's a couple of parking lots in the area that charge $7-10 max all day on Saturdays. Money-wise sounds like a better option. Is it a good idea though?

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 26
1. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

The parking lots I'm familiar with in Old Montreal are $20 for 3-12 hours. If you know of some that are more affordable, that's great! But be aware that it's festival season in the city, so it may be not only difficult to find a spot, but also aggravating to get around in a vehicle due to streets potentially being blocked off. I'd opt to leave the car at home so you don't have to worry about any of these factors.

Montreal
reviews: 41
2. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

Why not...if you don't mind Montréal traffic during festival season. If you know where to go for a cheap parking... However, I would go early in the day...

Montreal, Canada
3. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

Living in Montreal i'd definitely recommend taking the metro but if saving a few bucks is that important by all means drive your car,as said before go early as parking lots fill up fast and if you cant get a parking lot you'll be driving around for a while trying to find street parking and trying to decode the all French parking signs..

http://goo.gl/maps/nhYG1

Edited: 3:50 am, July 12, 2013
Westerly, Rhode...
4. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

Jim.. looking at coming in on Wednesday 7/24 at about 2pm to see the fireworks and staying overnight.. Do you think I will have issues driving in at 2pm? Hopefully I can find a decent hotel along the metro.. looking to watch them from the river bank just north of the bridge around Patriots place.

Montreal, Canada
5. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

You shouldnt have a problem driving in at 2pm as the rush hours havent started however traffic will be normally heavy anytime in a big city, cant help you on which hotels to think of but one with its own parking would be high on my list..

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
6. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

Just yesterday I discovered Le Nouvel Hôtel on René Lévesque Bvd West. Affordable, walking distance to both the orange and green metro lines and cheap parking for downtown at only $ 15 per day with in/out priviledges. If you rent there Jburrows500 you can take the métro at Guy/Concordia on the green line and then ride all the way to te Papineau station on the same line and then walk to Place des Patriotes. Also this hotel is near highways so you won't get stuck so much in the city traffic with all the closed streets.

As for you Mxtravelingirl in your case I would drive to one of the incitative parkings near one of the 3 métro stops in Laval and take the métro from there. You will be on the green line and will not have to transfer to get to Old Montréal. Also that way you won't have to pay for the Laval buses which are charging separately from those in Mtl and just pay for Mtl. If you are coming for more than one day then you can buy 24 hours ($9) and 3 days ($18) passes that you can use as much as you want during the specific lenght of time. I would be very surprised if you can find a parking at $ 10 around Old Mtl.

Mexico
7. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

I found this Montreal parking website: http://montreal.bestparking.com/

Maybe it's not reliable, I don't know, but this is what I found for Saturday:

1) Vinci Parking - 87 Rue Saint-Antoine O / max $10

2) PSPAQ Parking - 908 Boulevard Saint Laurent / max $10

3) Vinci Marriot Spring Hill Suites - 460 Rue Saint Jean Baptiste / max $10

4) Vieux Montreal - 330 Rue du Champ-de-Mars / max $7

Too good to be true?

Edited: 8:47 pm, July 14, 2013
Westerly, Rhode...
8. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

Thank you for your helpful reply rickb. I ended up going with the Le St-Sulpice Hotel which appears to be a 30 minute walk to the Patriots Place area. If it isnt a sweltering summer night I suspect we will walk it. Not dead set on the Patriot place area. In looking on google maps it appears there is a park just down the road heading to the river from the hotel where it might be a good spot.. I guess we will play it by ear.. we seem to be in the area and the hotel appears to offer room to stretch.. Lets hope for great weather now.. Thanks all!

9. Re: Old Town parking vs metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014