We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 2
Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

Will be in Montreal for the long weekend and am looking for dining advice with young children. We are foodies and love low-brow-hole-in-the-wall, high-brow, and everything in between. Would like a few lunch and dinner recs that would be kid-friendly--doesn't have to have a kid menu, but perhaps some kid-friendly dishes (pasta, roast chicken, etc.) Kids are 2.5 and 8 but have been dragged to a far number of high end places, for which we always dine on the early side and make sure it isn't super high-end with starched table clothes, etc. For example, we recently took them to Fore Street in Portland, ME and they behaved sufficiently well and didn't bother anyone.

Anyhow, we eat everything and would love some good tips. Would like to try Au Pied de Cochon and Joe Beef, but would probably pass on Toque and Bonaparte (have been and loved it but don't think kids would). Pintxo?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
1. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

Schwartz's Deli for an old fashioned Montreal smoked meat...eighty years of atmoshphere smacks you in the face as you walk in!

Casse-Croute La Banquise is great, the best poutine I ever had....many different types of poutine to explore..

Montreal
reviews: 14
2. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

Try Rubens on 1116 ste Catherine's street for good smoked meat and poutine. Read the reviews here in TA. Its not bad.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
3. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

It sounds like st-Hubert restaurant is calling your name.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
4. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

Definitely not Pintxo. I believe APDC does not accept minors because of the alcohol permit.

Saint-Hubert is not a foodie place, it's actually a roast chicken local chain. But they are really good with children, so i would keep it in your repertoire! Plus, while a local chain, it's very typically Quebecer.

Arepera is a foodie restaurant and fun/approachable for children. They have nice juices as well. It's a tiny restaurant so there may be some wait if you get there on a busy night, but the neighbourhood is cute.

http://tinyurl.com/p6oebnp

Portuguese is usually popular with children. For a sit down dinner, Janos is really good and kid friendly. Their deserts are simple and good too. Last i went they had a 2 person platter which had a little bit of everything at a really reasonable price. There are other really good portuguese in that area, but for sit-down i would go with janos.

http://tinyurl.com/lopzlu5

Juliette et Chocolat for a treat. They serve savory pancakes but their main focus is chocolate deserts. Really great!

Again for desert, in Old Montreal (because you'll likely spend some time there), Les Glaceurs is a nice gelato and cupcake place right beside the Basilica Notre-Dame, one of the biggest attractions. Their cupcakes are really good!

Brit & Chips is one of the best fish and chips place in the city. They are on the edge of Old Montreal. Nice bistro, casual style.

Montreal has a lot of restaurants. i could name many more... If you have more specific questions, dont hesitate.

Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 5
5. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

ugh Joe Beef is so amazingly good that's a great call but good luck getting a reservation, they're booked sometimes months in advance. Try Liverpool House next door if not...same owners, equally delicious but may be a little easier to get into. And if the kids are good at a fancy dinner definitely treat them to a late night poutine at La Banquise. Everyone loves poutine.

everyone

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 244
6. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

@Sylve - If they are already at Janos, they can just walk across the street for ice cream at Ripples, with their 6X chocolate ice cream. Pintxos is definitely NOT for kids. And I would think that neither would Joe Beef or Liverpool house be for kids, the food would likely not be plain enough.

Cafe Cherrier might be a good choice with kids.

7. Re: Montreal this weekend--foodie recommendations with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 06, 2014