We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
reviews: 34
Looking for a place to stay

I will be coming up to Montreal for the jazz fest, and staying three to four nights. I am presently booked at the Residents Inn, but am open to suggestions (Residents Inn is $300 a night for a two bedroom and looking for something cheaper).

I am looking for a place within walking distance to Place D'Arts, and prefer accommodations for four people (wife and two kids) comfortably (two twin beds, and either a king or queen size bed).

Massachusetts
reviews: 11
1. Re: Looking for a place to stay

If you're willing to gamble a bit you could try Priceline or Hotwire. We just won a bid for the Marriott Chateau Champlain for a long weekend in July for just under $100 per night. We've also won bids at that same Residence Inn on rue Peel several times for well under $100 per night in the past. There's no guarantees over which hotel you'll get, number of beds, etc. but we've always seemed to have good luck. You can check sites like Betterbidding to give you an idea of what hotels people are winning bids for during the dates you plan to visit.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
2. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Only bid on 4 star or higher hotels in Montreal. There are some very poor hotels in the 3 and 3.5 star categories.

Haverhill...
3. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Actually, it is the Residents Westmont...I'm not into Hotwire, Priceline.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
4. Re: Looking for a place to stay

I think you mean the Residence Inn Westmount. Not a bad hotel, and walking distance to the Atwater metro stop that will take you anywhere you need to go. But certainly not walking distance to Place des arts, it is really out of the downtown core completely.

Other suite hotels to look at

Cantlie Suittes

L'apparthotel

Le Square Philips.

All three are closer to Place des Arts.

You could also consider one bedroom apartments hotels, they will be cheaper. Parents take the bedroom and kids take the sofa bed.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
5. Re: Looking for a place to stay

There are also a couple of budget suite hotels quite close -- Holiday Inn Express and Candlewood Suites. Not fantastic, but not bad at all -- they were built as apartments but converted to hotels so you have a kitchen and living room and up to 2 bedrooms.

Haverhill...
6. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Looks like the Cantlie Suittes is my only other option; the others do not have rooms with the bedding needed for my stay. Anybody here ever stay there?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
7. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Hundreds of people have stayed there. Check the reviews. What are your bedding needs?

Haverhill...
8. Re: Looking for a place to stay

I looked at the reviews...kind of middle of the road....just looking for a local take. Regarding bedding; two kids and two adults...the kids each have their own bed. The perfect scenario: king and two twins. The Cantilie has two queens and a pull out sofa (Jr Suite)...a good deal cheaper than the Residents Inn Westmount. On a different topic....when did Montreal start charging NYC prices for hotel rooms? Granted, I haven't been to Montreal since 1999, but I remember it being much more affordable; maybe it was the exchange rate?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
9. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Well these days you would be hard pressed to find a two bedroom suite in NYC for under $500 a night at this time of year.

Montreal is a cosmopolitan city with many great festivals, attractions and dining experiences. Consequently prices are higher than less exciting cities. The Jazz festival is extremely popular and therefore room rates are high, though nowhere near as high as they are for the Grand Prix in June.

You might find it easier to get two separate rooms for your family. Two bedroom suites are rare and pricey. My kids are just told they have to share a bed when we travel on a budget so a room with two queens can fit the bill. Though we usually rent an apartment so we can all have more space. Hotels charge more as they provide so much more than a place to sleep.

Haverhill...
10. Re: Looking for a place to stay

The Residents Inn rings in at $406 USD a night including taxes, but not parking (an additional $21 per day)....maybe it was just a case of sticker shock.