We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 179
Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

My friend is coming in from Vancouver and I will meet up with her while she is shopping on Ste Catherine. Any good ideas for a decent restaurant? Not in the range of Nickels or Carlos and Pepes, etc. but not in the range of Toqué either. Something in between. It's been so long since I have been downtown for a nice lunch.

She will probably start her shopping around Les Ailes de la Mode and probably work her way up towards Crescent (to give an idea of where we'll be). Don't really want to take a cab anywhere, trying to keep it simple.

Thanks in advance!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
1. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

Cafe via on crescent street just above st Catherine.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
2. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

The restaurant (not the café) at the Museum of Fine Arts

Most interesting restaurants are closed on sunday mornings due to lack of lunch customers as most prefer extended breakfast or brunch at that time..

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
3. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

Like my esteemed colleague Rickb mentions, most restaurants downtown are closed for sunday lunch hour.

It depends on your tastes, but Frites Alors have some great burgers with ingredients out of the ordinary. The ambiance is casual but it is still a sit down lunch so you can rest your feet and chitchat. It's on Saint-Catherine, near the Eaton Center entrance.

If you want something more like a sandwich and a fancy coffee, you should try either Cafe Myriade or Cafe Art Java. Both really good little coffee shops and they serve sandwiches and such.

Around Concordia university and metro station (just a little past Crescent) you have a lot of neat little eateries. I don't necessarily recommend eating on Crescent unless you've looked up the places first. Some are expensive tourist/clubbers traps.

If you like Irish pubs, Ye Olde Orchard or Old Dublin pub are also on the shopping routes.

If you don't mind spending a bit more you can go to Birks Café, inside the Birks Jewelers store on Saint-Catherine. They serve brunch until 2pm, then afterwards it's afternoon tea (which is a meal in itself).

Finally, there are a few coffee shops and restaurants around The Bay or on McGill street near the Place Ville Marie entrance. They can be your go-to areas if you need to choose a place to eat other than a food court.

Montreal
reviews: 179
4. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

I've come back posting after the fact - we did end up going to the restaurant at the Museum of Fine Arts, then took a look at their Christmas tree exhibition (app. 35 trees decorated by various organizations in Montreal). The meal was very good, the service was very attentive, my friend loved it and was grateful not to be in a noisy brunch spot. From the table d'hôte, I had the lamb shank and my friend had the chicken, and we both loved it. Good recommendation, rickb!

There are lots of great suggestions above that I will end up using in the coming weeks, so thanks everyone.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
5. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

Glad that the Museum restaurant worked for you. I know the chef owner, he has many business but each one seems to be good at all time not just when he is in for the day.

6. Re: Sunday Lunch: Downtown restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 20, 2013