We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 4
Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

At the station today I gave up on trying to get the card machine to use my primitive American magnetic swipe card and paid cash at the booth.

Tomorrow I will be trying again. Is it possible to get a 3 day pass from the machine, the big machine at the Berri Station, or do I need to go back to the booth and use my french learned from this forum with some cash to buy it?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
1. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

Eeek good question. I'm going to guess yes, since my boyfriend only recently upgraded his credit card and recharged his opus fine in the past. Though this is a guess. Is it a Visa or Mastercard?

You could just go to the booth and ask. Most tellers will understand english, particularly since all you really have to get across is "3 days" and show your credit card.

At worse, get cash :/

Edited: 10:25 pm, November 20, 2012
Montreal, Canada
2. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

Wow I'm surprised this question has never occurred to me before since Ive been buying so many passes in Montreal. I always pay cash.

The easiest way to get a card if you are a tourist would definitely be to just go to the booth. They will roughly understand what you are talking about. I don't think credit cards work but a debit card might.

SE Ontario
reviews: 8
3. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

I have bought day passes using my US based corporate credit card at the booth. I find it doesn't often work in machines - anywhere in Canada. Not being a Quebecer my french, while better likely than yours, is enough to be understood by the attendants. And in the Berri station there are usually hundreds of students going through and I have found when stuck they are often the best to ask to translate if I've run into a problem.

Just ask the attendant for "pass trois jours, s'il vous plait".

Edited: 8:15 am, November 21, 2012
NJ
reviews: 4
4. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

Well I did try the attendant route, when I showed him a card he just told me to go to the machine. Showed him the card and told him tthere was no chip, he just shrugged and looked at me.

I'll try the machine again today and see if I can find someone there who might know, or just use up some of my remaining cash and go to the teller, might be the easiest way to go.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 55
5. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

I have used my credit card that has no chip yet and it worked. Of course a Canadian credit card, US, I really don't know. But for $16 why go to the trouble and just pay cash instead. I do suppose that you alredeay have some Cnd funds with you.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 226
6. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

As I have stated, from experience with my guests, credit cards that are not issued in Canada will generally not be able to be used to buy metro/bus tickets at the automated stations. Nothing to do with swipe or chip at all. Canadians cards, chip or swipe will work. There is an exception at the airport as far as I know, but most of the downtown stations you will need to use CASH.

(I've mentioned this a few times... people just seem to ignore what I'm saying.)

Canadian cards... work. US cards... don't work. Foreign cards sometimes work, if the machine has been upgrade for Chip & Pin, but swipe foreign cards also generally don't work.

7. Re: Can I use a swipe credit card to get a metro pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 16, 2013