We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Districts of Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
reviews: 6
Districts of Montreal

My partner and I are a mature gay couple considering a possible house exchange to Montreal in July/August 2013. We presently considering two offers of accommodation one in an area called Hochelaga - Maisonneuve , the other in an area called Boucherville which appears a bit further out. We are looking to stay in an area which is reasonably central and convenient but more importantly is characterful and representative of what Montreal has to offer. So please some advice and guidance on the merits of the 2 areas mentioned and if neither are suitable then alternatives.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 438
1. Re: Districts of Montreal

From the two neighborhoods you have put down, I would go with Hochelaga-Maisonneuve...easier to get downtown, metro access runs there.....diverse, up and coming part of Montreal...

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
2. Re: Districts of Montreal

Boucherville is really not convenient to Montreal. Hochelaga is a solid working class area. Other areas to look are the Plateau, Verdun, St Henri and the Village. All have metro links and are good areas for long term visits.

I would try to be walking distance to a metro station. A monthly pass is about $90, thereabouts. Look for grocery stores within a short walk and a launderette (buanderie) if there is no laundry facilities in the exchange.

Belfast
3. Re: Districts of Montreal

Thanks for your reply. Your advices are pretty much as I presumed they might be. But why I had raised the question in the first place was that some of the research I had done on Hochelaga-Maisonneuve suggested that the area , although up and coming, was nevertheles the domain of some gangs and drug dealers. Sounds kinda extreme I know but is this or was this the case ? I woud apprecaite any furhter information or insights that you have on the area.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Jay

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
4. Re: Districts of Montreal

It is a typical working class area, a bit rough around the edges and gritty. Crime in Montreal is generally low unless you are in a gang or the mafia, then there are issues.

I am currently looking to buy a condo in Montreal and Ho-Ma is not on my personal list due to the feel there.

Look in the areas I suggested. Verdun and Henri are grittier as well, but less issues with gangs and drugs. They have great metro links. Also NDG is pretty nice above Sherbrooke and below Fielding, but metro is limited. High end is Westmount and TMR, but again the metro is limited.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
5. Re: Districts of Montreal

Guys you are going to scare the visitor away, homa is not exactly London's east end.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
6. Re: Districts of Montreal

Which is why I didn't compare it to such a location! The OP is from Belfast, he knows what gritty means.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
7. Re: Districts of Montreal

Boucherville would be a terrible choice for you. It is a subburb and you would need a car. I would go with Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area (aka HoMa).

The thing to understand is it's a very large area. There are parts that are budget apartments, and there are parts that are really quite nice. Actually, there are streets that are down right for rich people. It's still very safe so you shouldn't be afraid.

The Montreal definition of "rough around the edges": *some* streets aren't well maintained or cleaned. Some windows will have sheets put up instead of nice curtains (often student pads do this). You may catch a whiff of pot here and there (actually, that can happen anywhere to be honest).

That being said, i don't think anybody in budget lodging is the type who would do a house exchange.

If you're still insecure, give us the nearest intersection to the house and we can give you a definite answer :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
8. Re: Districts of Montreal

Exactly with the adress or the closest cross streets location /name it will be easy. For example both Morgan Avenue and Pie IX Boulevard are places peopled by affluent people, as well as some of the former industrial plants transformed into condos.

Belfast
9. Re: Districts of Montreal

Thank you all for your input on this question . It has been very helpful and informative.

The accommodation in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is at or near Rue St Germain which is apparently located near the park and close to the Prefontaine Metro station.

So, any thoughts on what this area is like in terms of amentities, safety, convenience to city centre and generally as a suitable area to spend hopefully in or around 3 weeks in Montreal next summer.

Thanks again,

Jay

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
10. Re: Districts of Montreal

Safety wise, this raises no red flags for me! It's a standard montrealer street.

Being near a metro is VERY convenient. You will be able to reach anywhere in 15 or so minutes.

As for the immediate vicinity, most of the amneties will be on Ontario street. There is a Jean-Coutu pharmacy (big chain here) which provides basic hygiene, pharmaceutical and even some food products, plus it's open late. Also look for the word Depanneur, these are convenient stores.

You'll find many restaurants and cafes on Ontario as well.