We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 33
Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

The Montreal Gazette has been running a series of articles on the increasing mixture of the English and French languages in the province. Todays article, which can be read on line, is extremely good and educational, especially for who are worried about language issues when visiting the province.

While the articles have given a good insight and history, they also can help alay fears that one won't be able to communicate because they don't know French. We always say here that won't be an issue in tourist spots because most everyone will speak some English,.

But the one thing visitors should never do is just "expect" everyone will speak English. Visitor's should still be respectful of the culture, offering greetings or thank yous in French. It goes a long way.

Looking forward to any comments from the locals plus I hope this might help with any potential visitors who might be worried about communicating when visitng the area.

www.montrealgazette.com.

JDP

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
1. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

I'm English and I live in Quebec, my kids and hubby are English and were born in Quebec. We live in English and we rarely have issues. Tourists should have no issues unless they are out of the tourist areas.

Always nice to offer a merci here and there.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 99
2. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

It can depend on the area still, but Montreal is becoming more and more Anglo, with the number of people who can't speak French growing because of influx from other provinces and the States.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 33
3. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

Inna, what really got me about today's article as well is they mention how "Anglo" Paris is becoming, and how Quebec isn't even as Anglo as that. It did surprise me with all the signs in Paris that seemed anglo. Again, I expected it to be a little harder to communicate there but it really wasn't. It was almost like visiting Quebec City.

JDP

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
4. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

When one goes where tourists go, there will be reasonable english spoken there. True everywhere, even in Beijing China.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 99
5. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

JDP, Paris is not becoming "Anglo" simply because the French there use more English words/expressions, but Montreal is becoming more Anglo as the number of anglophone Montrealers who cannot speak French (or barely speak it) grows ..see what I mean?

Edited: 5:29 pm, November 19, 2012
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
6. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

I think what Inna means is that you can see a lot of borrowings of English's language in Paris (pressing, parking, tearoom, ticket, discount, coffee shop, mcnuggets, freelance, self-service, etc) BUT it doesn't mean that Parisians can speak English. They will pronounce those words with a thick French accent and won't necessarily be able to have a conversation.

In Montreal, most of the words will be written in French. For example, the 101 Bill will force a Chinatown's shop tenant to show his product's name in French. Even if he can't serve his customers in French.

Edited: 10:26 am, November 21, 2012
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
7. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

I do believe that stores in Chinatown are exempt from Bill 101 due to business owners there arguing that having French signage etc was bad for business. Somehow they won their case.

8. Re: Montreal Gazette "Frenglish" articles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 16, 2013