We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 4
Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

Any tips or culture things I should be aware of when driving in Montreal?

If I need to get gas what's the best way to do that? How do the stations work up there?

Any rules of the road I need to be aware of that I might not be familiar with?

We wont be driving much, just to where we are staying and then maybe to that big orange ball juice place, besides that we plan on walking or taking the metro.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

No right turns on red lights on the Island of Montreal...okay elsewhere unless otherwise stated.

Gas stations should work pretty much the same way as in the States.

NJ
2. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

Do I need a chip+pin card to use the gas stations and pay at the pump?

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 20
3. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

I believe that most stations will still accept cards with only magnetic stripes.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 17
4. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

Gas stations now accept both chip and pin and magnetic stripe at the pumps. Gas is more expensive than in NJ.

You can get the metro to the big orange julep place. Namur metro stop is right over the road from it.

My advice is to park the car and leave it there.

Other weird Quebec driving things, there are very few pedestrian crossings, you watch the lights and go when it is your turn, traffic gives way to pedestrians. Also bike paths are all over, the bikers have the right of way no matter what, even if your light is green. Lots of one way streets in Montreal, sometimes I think they are designed to keep me downtown as I have a hard time going west without odd little short cuts.

Traffic warnings are all in French. So when you are driving and see a huge digital sign above the highway full of French, it will not show up in English next. I listen to CJAD 800 radio station for traffic reports every 15 minutes, but it only helps if you know where you are and know where you are going.

Learn est is east and ouest is west, you will need it.

Parking is a pain in the butt.

NJ
5. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

Is the walk from the station to the orange julep place okay?

It looked like a big busy barren road. If its not terrible then we will just metro then.

Montreal
6. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

There is always traffic, and it is unpredictable, not only at rush hour.

The walk from Namur to Orange julep is fine - it is a big busy barren road, but there are sidewalks.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
7. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

It is a simple walk, there are a tally real pedestrian crossings there. So busy, but safe. It is very well lit and there are people about.

Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 5
8. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

did someone just call decarie blvd barren? the street is always packed. always. the wlak from the metro to orange julep is 3 minutes.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
9. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

i may be opening a can of worms here ... but here it goes....Montreal drivers have a reputation as quite aggresive, tailgating, no signaling, etc.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
10. Re: Anything I need to know about driving in Montreal?

It is a well earned reputation.