We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich, CT
reviews: 79
Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Hello fellow TAers

We are going to visit Montreal between 12/27-12/31 and are looking for fun things to do, indoor and out, with kids age 13 & 15. I have been to Montreal many times, but not with kids this age. We have varying levels of French (semi fluent to beginner.)

We will be staying in Mile End. Of course we want to explore the city, Old Montreal, good food is a must, and some cultural things - if there are good music venues that (jazz, rock, classical) that would be fun, movies in French w/ Eng. subtitles. My daughter would probably enjoy some shopping if funky and not super expensive.

Both kids would enjoy skating, sledding (if it's not little kid sledding) tubing, snowshoeing x-country skiing, maybe kicksledding? I understand you can do these things in Mont Royal park. Does it get very crowded? Do we need to bring our own ice skates? DO people skate on the St. Lawrence?

Any ideas?Thanks!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
1. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Check out the place des arts web site for classical music shows.

Skate indoor at any neighborhood rink or at 1000 de la gauchetiere where you can rent skates, or outdoor at the old port. No skating on st laurent - huge river.

Shop at Simons on st Catherine, or Ogilvy or holt renfrew for more upscale. Check out mont royal between st Laurent and st Denis and st laurent and st Denis between mont royal and Sherbrooke for all sorts of boutiques, clothes and shoes, etc. Check out kusmi tea for great tea. Check out st Paul street and Laurier street for more stuff.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 53
2. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

First our Boxing Day (Dec 26) has, more or less, morphed into a Boxing Week so I will sugget that you wait until your last day in town for shoppng if you are planning on any.

Outdoor skating there is the Old Port but also usually Beaver Lake on Mount Royal but I don't know if it will be possible this winter since there was some construction around.

There is the Nutcracker at Place des Arts but your kids might be too old for that. And there is also the farewell performances of Cirque du Soleil' Saltimbanco at Bell Center. Mind you that these performances are in arena so it lacks a bit of the intimate feel of a show under the bigtop.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 53
3. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Oh you can rent skis for cross country skiing in Mount Royal Park and at the regional Parcs Natures on the outskirtsof the city, sometimes a bit hard to reach by public transit but if you have a car they are all possibilities:

• Parc-nature de la Pointe-aux-prairies (23,5 km), 14905, rue Sherbrooke Es , 514 280-6691

• Parc-nature du Bois-de-Liesse, accueil des champs (18 km), 3555, rue Douglas-B.-Florean , 514 280-6678

• Parc-nature de l'Île-de-la-Visitation (8 km), 2425, boulevard Gouin Est 514 280-6729

• Parc-nature du Bois-de-l'Île-Bizard (20 km), 2115, chemin du Bord-du-Lac 514 280-8517

• Parc-nature du Cap-Saint-Jacques (32 km), 20099, boulevard Gouin Ouest 514 280-6871

Oh movies in French are usually not subtitled in English. Well even English language movies are dubbed in French not subtitled as people around simply don't ike subtites!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

No skating on the St Lawrence. You should have no problem finding english movies... probably easier than french. For shopping St Catherine Street is good. You probably won't find great deals. There is also very high sales tax (15%).

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
5. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Yes, it's hard to find French movies dowtown. It's almost repertoire cinema!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 9
6. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

You can rent and do x-country skiing, snowshoeing and kicksledding in Parc des Iles de Boucherville in south-east of Montreal:

www.sepaq.com/pq/bou/index.dot?language_id=1

All that if it has been showing enough, which is not guaranteed that early in the season...

In the Old Port part of the exterior ice rink is refrigerated so that will be opened (they rent skates)

7. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, November 28, 2012
Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
8. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

What a ripoff, this site clearly is a commercial site. I just looked at watches and it fails to list the 2 most prominent shops. Why, because they probably refused to pay to be listed in the directory. Blatant violation of TA policies.

dialectgirl
reviews: 71
9. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

Some good recommendations there. Also try David's tea for some excellent tea including "sleigh ride" flavour. Check them out online.

Are you planning a visit to Quebec City at all? If so, I can give a lot of tips about that.

I agree that you must check out the nature parks, rent skis or snow shoes easily and have some hot chocolate after for a reward. You could check out the botanical garden which will have a Christmas themed exhibit - on the way there you will see the olympic stadium which is just across the road - and some museums have a Christmas themed special also, do check out the websites. You COULD take a carriage ride - never done it but it seems like a fun way to get some pointers about local history, and if there is snow, it just feels magical.

Good luck and have fun!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
10. Re: Christmas week in Montreal with tween & teen

I scoff at David's tea! A chain.

Go to kusmi tea on st Denis street. Or un amour des thes.